FRIDAY www.thestatesman.com 08 SEPTEMBER 2017 FIND US ONLINE Scan this with your smartphone twitter.com/TheStatesmanLtd facebook.com/thestatesman1875 Pages 16 |`3|LC KOLKATA|NEW DELHI | SILIGURI | BHUBANESWAR CONSTITUTIONAL DUTY TO PROTECT CULTURE OF TOLERANCE: NAQVI ‘BJP WILL FIGHT ALONE IN ODISHA, WIN 120 SEATS’ P6 SENSEX 31,662.74 +0.77 Generally cloudy sky with possibility of light rain or drizzle. The maximum and minimum temperatures would be around 34 and 25 degrees Celsius respectively. RAINFALL: 06.6 MM RELATIVE HUMIDITY Max.96% Min.65% Max: 36.1°C (+2) SUN RISES 06:03 hrs MOON RISES 20.07 hrs Min: 26.6°C (+1) SUN SETS 18:34 hrs MOON SETS 08:47 hrs TEMPERATURE P7 NIFTY 9,937.30 +21.10 WEATHER THUMBNAILS Damage caused by Category-5 Hurricane Irma in Philipsburg, on the Dutch Caribbean island REPORT ON P 12 of St Martin on Thursday One dead, 5 injured in Srinagar grenade blast: One person was killed and five others were injured in a grenade blast in Srinagar on Thursday, including the man who who threw the explosive, police said. A militant hurled a hand grenade at a passing vehicle of the security forces in Jehangir Chowk area and it IANS exploded on the road, police said. CBI summons Lalu, Tejashwi in railways corruption case: The Central Bureau of Inves tigation on Thursday summoned Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad and his son Tejashwi Yadav in connection with a railways corruption case. The two have been asked to come to the CBI headquarters in New Delhi for questioning on 11 and 12 September. IANS 15 STATES, DC SUE TRUMP ADMIN OVER ENDING DACA ` vs $ 64.01 GOLD 30,164 -41.00 THE TADA COURT VERDICT A special TADA court on Thursday awarded life imprisonment to gangster Abu Salem and sentenced two others to death for the 1993 blasts that ripped through Mumbai, killing 257 people and injuring more than 700. Special Judge GA Sanap pronounced the death verdict on Mohammed Tahir Merchant and Feroz Abdul Rashid Khan. Besides Salem, who is a close associate of Karachi-based don Dawood Ibrahim, another convict Karimullah Khan got life sentence. A fifth convict, Riyaz Siddiqui, was sentenced to 10 years’ rigorous imprisonment. Six men, including Mustafa Dossa, were on 16 June pronounced guilty by the special court, which let off another accused for want of evidence. On Thursday, the court heard the defence and the prosecution before announcing the quantum of the sentence. This was the second phase of the trial in the blasts case. Dossa died of a heart attack on 28 June. While he had been extradited from the United Arab Emirates, Abu Salem was arrested in Portugal and brought here to face trial in 2005. Under the extradition treaty with Portugal, death penalty for Salem was ruled out. So Central Bureau of Investigation prosecutor Deepak Salvi had demanded life imprisonment for him. The legal fraternity says Salem, tried under the Terrorist and 6 men, including Mustafa Dossa, were pronounced guilty by the special court on 16 June Dossa died of a heart attack on 28 June. While he had been extradited from the United Arab Emirates, Abu Salem was arrested in Portugal and brought to Mumbai to face trial in 2005 Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act, escaped the noose because Portugal does not permit capital punishment. Besides, he might walk free after completing 25 years in prison keeping with the extradition treaty. According to special prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam, the time already spent in prison would also be taken into account. Karimullah Khan, however, will stay in prison until his death. The court observed that the conspirators “used weapons to terrorise innocent citizens.” Dawood Ibrahim, the mastermind of the plot, and his brother Anis Ibrahim continue to be on the absconders’ list. It was established by the CBI that the weapons and explo- On her arrival at the Ministry of Defence, Sitharaman was received by Jaitley, minister of state for defence Subhash Bhamre, defence secretary Sanjay Mitra, among others STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE NEW DELHI, 7 SEPTEMBER On her arrival at the Ministry of Defence, Sitharaman was received by Jaitley, minister of state for defence Subhash Bhamre, defence secretary Sanjay Mitra, defence secretary (defence production) A K Gupta, chairman DRDO and secretary department of defence (R&D) S Christopher and other senior officials. She said she would attend to all the longpending issues and in consul- tation with the Prime Minister and the Cabinet Committee on Security ensure that they are resolved. Sitharaman stressed on a major role for ‘Make in India’ in defence production. “We shall ensure that the important characters of what makes ‘Make in India’ an important flagship programme of the Prime Minister is given full play for Piyush gives safety action plan to Railway Board STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE NEW DELHI, 7 SEPTEMBER Amid the continuing train derailment incidents in different parts of the country, the new Railways Minister Piyush Goyal onThursday held a "marathon meeting" with members of full Railway Board as well as Safety Directorate of Railway Board to "comprehensively review safety measures for train operations". The meeting took place on a day when three incidents of train derailments were reported from various parts of the country, including national capital, in which at least one person was injured. "A detailed presentation on safety was made at this meeting.There was threadbare discussion on the subject and the root cause of repeated cases of train accidents in recent past was thoroughly analysed," a Railways Ministry statement said. At the meeting two major causes leading to train accidents were identified as "unmanned level crossings" and "derailments due to defects in tracks". "The special focus of the meeting was to identify measures to reduce accidents due to derailments which has emerged as one of the major causes of train accidents," the Railways Ministry said. Goyal stressed, according to the statement, that the safety is paramount and that "there cannot and should not be any compromise on this front". The Railways Minister gave a number of specific directions to the Railway Board to ensure safety in train operations. "All unmanned level crossings The TADA court on Thursday awarded life imprisonment to gangster Abu Salem and pronounced the death verdict on Mohammed Tahir Merchant and Feroz Abdul Rashid Khan Karimullah Khan got life sentence. A fifth convict, Riyaz Siddiqui, was sentenced to 10 years’ rigorous imprisonment sives were transported by Abu Salem from near Bharuch in Gujarat. He was also responsible for providing an AK 56 rifle and ammunition to actor Sanjay Dutt. The actor completed his fiveyear sentence for illegal possession of weapons over a year ago. He was tried as an accused in the first part of trial held in the TADA court of judge Pramod Kode. The blasts were the first terrorist attacks in Mumbai, conspired and executed by local gangsters. The explosions on the afternoon of 12 March 1993 rocked the Bombay Stock Exchange and Air India headquarters at Nariman Point. Sitharaman takes charge, outlines priorities Nirmala Sitharaman on Thursday took charge as India’s first full-time woman defence minister and outlined her priorities as military preparedness, ‘Make in India’ and welfare of soldiers and their families. “My priority will definitely be the armed forces preparedness. It is important that the Indian armed forces receive attention in terms of giving them every endowment and equipment necessary for them to perform their duty with the best of equipment available,” she said in a message. She took charge of the ministry from Finance Minister Arun Jaitley who was holding additional charge since March. SILVER 40,645 -66.00 Extradition treaty with Portugal saves the gangster from gallows, death for 2 others MUMBAI, 7 SEPTEMBER should be eliminated expeditiously on the entire Indian Railway network in a year’s time from now," Goyal said, asking the top Railways functionaries to accord priority to "track replacement and renewal". He asked them to "divert" tracks meant for constructing new lines to "places / stretches which are prone to accidents and where replacement is due". "The procurement of new rails should be expedited on a large scale with a view to complete construction of new lines in time," Goyal also said, asking the Railways top brass to immediately stop the manufacturing of conventional ICF design coaches and ensure the manufacturing of "new design LHB coaches only". He also called for installing of anti-fog LED lights in locomotives in order to ensure unhindered safe train operations during fog season. P15 P12 Abu Salem gets life in ’93 Mumbai blasts case NANDU R KULKARNI FEDERER LOSES TO DEL POTRO IN US OPEN QUARTERS defence production because India as you know is a very big defence equipment procurer,” she said. Sitharaman said her other priority was armed forces families and their welfare. “Let us not for a moment forget that it is in their welfare, in their families’ welfare that we can ensure that the soldier at the very toughest borders, challenging zones in which they are protecting this country remain absolutely assured that their interests are being taken care of.” Immediately after assuming office, the minister approved a grant of over Rs 13 crore which will be released for 8685 exservicemen, widows and dependants out of the Armed Forces Flag Day Fund. The court had held that Tahir Merchant was amongst the main conspirators. He worked with absconding conspirator Tiger Memon, participated in several conspiracy meetings in Dubai. Earlier, in the first phase of what is probably the longest terror case trial in India, the then special TADA court judge Kode had sentenced 12 convicts to death, 20 to life term, and other varying sentences to the remaining. Later in March 2013, the Supreme Court had upheld the death sentence of Yakub Memon, the brother of absconder Tiger Memon, commuted the capital punishment for 10 others to life sentences, and upheld the life imprisonment of 16 others. BRENT (OIL IN $) $48.57 -0.09 Upset China asks if Rawat’s remarks reflect govt’s views PTI BEIJING, 7 SEPTEMBER China on Thursday reacted sharply to army chief Gen Bipin Rawat's assertion that Beijing was testing India's limits, saying the remarks were contrary to the views expressed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Xi Jinping during their meeting in Xiamen this week. Rawat, while speaking at a seminar organised by the Centre for Land Warfare Studies in New Delhi, had said India should be prepared for a two-front war, insisting that China had started “flexing its muscles”, while there seems to be no scope for reconciliation with Pakistan whose military and polity saw an adversary in India. Reacting to the comments, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang told a briefing that, “We have noted the statement by relevant people in India, also we noticed s o m e In d i a n p re s s remarked that the reports are shocking.” Mr Geng also questioned whether Rawat was authorised to speak and if his comments represented the Indian government's position. “As reported by Indian press... we don't know whether he was authorised to speak those words or it was just his spontaneous words or whether his words represented the position of the We don’t know whether he was authorised to speak those words or it was just his spontaneous words or whether his words represented the position of the Indian government. GENG SHUANG CHINESE GOVT SPOKESPERSON Indian government,” Geng said. Noting that China and India are important neighbours and are two large countries, Geng said sound and steady development of ties serves the fundamental interests of both the countries. “Just two days ago, President Xi Jinping pointed out to Prime Minister Narendra Modi that the two countries are each other's development opportunities, not threats,” Geng said. Prime Minister Modi had also said that the Indian side is willing to work with China to maintain steady development of bilateral ties, Geng said. “We should not treat each other as rivals. We should make cooperation the mainstream and the two sides should work together to maintain peace and tranquillity in the border areas,” Geng said. “Hope that this military official would see clearly this trend and contribute to development of China and India relations and see something more in that regard,” he said. SIT begins probe into Lankesh killing SNS & AGENCIES BENGALURU, 7 SEPTEMBER A Special InvestigatingTeam (SIT) has started its probe into the murder of journalist-activist Gauri Lankesh with the Karnataka government saying it was hopeful of nabbing the assailants “as soon as possible.” The state government yesterday announced the formation of a 21member SIT headed by IGP (Intelligence) B K Singh with DCP (West) M N Anucheth as the investigating officer to probe the killing of Gauri that led to a wave of countrywide protests and condemnation across the political spectrum. “SIT members have started their investigation into the Gauri Lankesh murder case and the state government is hopeful of nabbing the assailants as soon as possible,” state home minister Ramalinga Reddy told reporters here. He said police are screening footage of the seized CCTV at the location where the 55-year-old outspoken journalist was gunned down. Asked if there was any political compulsion for deciding against a CBI probe into the murder of Gauri Lankesh, Reddy said, “Who said this? We are open minded, and that is what chief minister Siddaramaiah said. If we feel the case is needed to be probed by CBI, we will hand over the case to it.” Gauri Lankesh, who was known to have strong anti-right wing views, was shot dead at close range by unknown assailants at her home hereonthenightofSeptember5.Gauri’s brother Inderjit and sister Kavita said today that they will not be averse to a CBI probe into their sister’s murder, if the investigation by the SIT does not prove useful. But they said they would prefer to wait for the outcome of the SIT probe. Kavita said that during a visit to her mother’s place a few days ago, her sister did mention that an unknown person was moving around suspiciously near her house. Gauri, however, did not speak to police about this. Bihar journalist shot at Some men onThursday shot at a journalist of a Hindi newspaper and snatched Rs 1 lakh cash from him in Bihar's Arwal district. Pankaj Mishra of the Rashtriya Saharawas shot twice while returning after withdrawing the money from a bank. He is stated to be out of danger. Three trains derail amid growing passengers safety concerns STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE NEW DELHI, 7 SEPTEMBER The spate of train derailments has continued in various parts of the country, with three derailment incidents ~ including one involving a Rajdhani, the premier train, in the national capital ~ being reported on Thursday. Only one person was said to have been injured in these three train derailments, which have, however, again raised serious concerns over the safety of passangers and others in railways operations across the country. The first derailment occurred around 6:25 a.m. when seven coaches of Jabalpur-bound Shaktipunj Express jumped the rails near the Obra Dam station in Sonbhadra district of Uttar Pradesh. This was the third derailment in UP in less than three weeks. There was no report of any injury in this derailment, Railways officials said. They also said the train was running at a speed of about 40 kmp which might have prevented passengers from getting injured in the mishap. As the train, which was coming from Howrah derailed, the rail traffic on the Chaupan-Singharauli route was disrupted. Close on the heels of this mishap, around 11.45 a.m, the engine and power coach of the Ranchi-Delhi Rajdhani Express derailed near Minto Bridge in the national capital as it was approaching the Delhi station. One person was injured in this incident. A No r t h e r n Ra i l w a y spokesman said the speed of the Ranchi-Delhi Rajdhani Express train was very low. Meanwhile, an accident was averted, thanks to alert local people as a fracture in a track was detected between Farrukhabad and Fatehgarh in Uttar Pradesh minutes before the Kalindi Express was scheduled to pass through. However, around 3.55 p.m. two wagons of a goods train jumped the tracks near Khandala in Maharashtra. “Two wagons of the goods trains derailed in Khandala this afternoon. We are in the process of clearing the tracks,” a Central Railway spokesman reportedly said. These were the first three train derailments on a single day after Piyush Goyal took over as the new Railways minister on 3 September. A number of serious derailment incidents earlier had led to the exit of Suresh Prabhu as Railway Minister. On 20 August, 14 coaches of the Utkal Puri-Haridwar Express had derailed near Muzaffarnagar in UP, killing about 23 people and leaving scores injured. “We are upping our efforts to stop such incidents. In these cases also, our officials took immediate measures to make sure that the passengers do not suffer. We cleared the tracks quickly and the minister has issued instructions to officials to probe the m a t t e r,” s a i d Ra i l w a y spokesperson Anil Saxena.
The Statesman is one of India's oldest English newspapers. It was founded in Kolkata in 1875 and is directly descended from The Friend of India (founded 1818). The Englishman (founded 1821) was merged with The Statesman in 1934. The Delhi edition of The Statesman began publication in 1931. The Statesman Weekly is a compendium of news and views from the Kolkata and Delhi editions. Printed on airmail paper, it is popular with readers outside India. The Statesman (average weekday circulation approximately 180,000) is a leading English newspaper in West Bengal. The Sunday Statesman has a circulation of 230,000.