WEDNESDAY www.thestatesman.com 31 JANUARY 2018 FIND US ONLINE Scan this with your smartphone twitter.com/TheStatesmanLtd facebook.com/thestatesman1875 Pages 16 |`3|LC KOLKATA|NEW DELHI | SILIGURI | BHUBANESWAR PALANISWAMI TO MEET SIDDU OVER CAUVERY ISSUE SUSHMA TO VISIT NEPAL TO WOO NEW LEADERSHIP P7 SENSEX 36,033.73 -249.52 WEATHER Partly cloudy sky. Mist likely to occur in the morning. The maximum and minimum temperatures are likely to be around 26 and 12 degrees Celsius respectively RAINFALL: Nil RELATIVE HUMIDITY Max. 97% Min. 38% Max: 26.9°C (+5) SUN RISES 07:10 hrs MOON RISES 17:54 hrs Min: 9,8°C (+1) SUN SETS 18:00 hrs MOON SETS 07:39 hrs TEMPERATURE NIFTY P10 11,049.65 -80.75 P12 ` vs $ 63.59 GOLD T MEA reverses its decisions; no orange colour passport: The external affairs ministry on Tuesday night announced that it has reversed its decision on the issuance of a orange-coloured passport to those who have ECR status as also on printing of the last page with personal details. The decision was taken at a meeting, chaired by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and attended by one of her two deputies V K Singh among others, on Monday, the ministry said. Based on the recommendations of a three-member committee comprising officials of MEA and the women and child development ministry, it was decided not to print the last page of the passport booklet, the MEA said in a release. -266.00 he Delhi High Court on Tuesday asked the Election Commission (EC) to file an affidavit giving the factual aspects which formed the basis for its decision to disqualify Delhi's 20 MLAs of the ruling Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) for holding office of profit as parliamentary secretaries. The EC was asked by a Bench of Justice Sanjiv Khanna and Justice Chander Shekhar to file the affidavit after the poll panel said it wanted to submit a reply to some of the charges mentioned in the MLAs' plea challenging the EC's decision to disqualify them from the Delhi Assembly. The Commission also told the court that it would rely upon the opinion that it had given to the President for disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs for holding office of profit as they were appointed parliamentary secretaries. The case has been listed for further hearing on 7 February, the date by when the MLAs have to file their response to the EC's affidavit. The 24 January interim order of its single judge was also extended till 7 February by the court restraining the EC from issuing any notification announcing by-elections for the 20 Assembly seats represented by disqualified AAP legislators. As the hearing began, the petitioners were told by the court for a perusal of the EC's synopsis of the case, running into 250 pages, and then decide if affidavits were required. After perusal of the synopsis, the court asked the EC to file a shorter version on affidavit. The plea was filed by eight AAP MLAs against their disqualification by the EC for holding office of profit. The poll panel's recommendation for the disqualification of these 20 legislators was made on 19 January to the President, who gave his assent to it. The Ministry of Law and Justice issued a notification that the President held that the 20 AAP MLAs stood disqualified under Section 15 (1)(a) of the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (GNCTD) on 20 January. The recommendation was made by the EC while pronouncing its decision on a plea by advocate Prashant Patel, who had sought disqualification of 21 AAP MLAs for holding the office of parliamentary secretaries which, he maintained, amounted to holding office of profit. Proceedings against one legislator Jarnail Singh were discontinued as he had already submitted his resignation as Rajouri Garden MLA to contest Punjab Assembly elections. The 20 disqualified MLAs include Adarsh Shastri (Dwarka), Alka Lamba (Chandni Chowk), Anil Bajpai (Gandhi Nagar), Avtar Singh (Kalkaji), Kailash Gahlot (Najafgarh) ~ who is also a minister ~ Madan Lal (Kasturba Nagar), Manoj Kumar (Kondli), Naresh Yadav (Mehrauli), Nitin Tyagi (Laxmi Nagar), Praveen Kumar (Jangpura). The other AAP disqualified legislators are Rajesh Gupta (Wazirpur), Rajesh Rishi (Janakpuri), Sanjeev Jha (Burari), Sarita Singh (Rohtas Nagar), Som Dutt (Sadar Bazar), Sharad Kumar (Narela), Shiv Charan Goel (Moti Nagar), Sukhbir Singh (Mundka), Vijendar Garg (Rajinder Nagar), and Jarnail Singh (Tilak Nagar). Tough action against Kasganj rioters: Yogi SNS & PTI LUCKNOW, 30 JANUARY Chief MinisterYogi Adityanath onTuesday broke his silence on Kasganj violence promising action against those involved even as politics brewed over the clashes with Union minister Giriraj Singh claiming that media would have chosen a“different” line if the killed youth was from the minority community. Another BJP hardlinerVinay Katiyar, known for his controversial utterances, also waded in the row saying there were some “miscreants who support Pakistan” who could go to any extent to defy the tricolour. “Our government is committed to provide security to each and every citizen. Anarchy has no place in the state,” Chief Min- ister Adityanath told reporters here, his first comments on the clashes. Adityanath warned of “strict action” against the perpetrators of violence. Meanwhile, Union Minister Giriraj Singh said that he felt the violence was pre-planned. “Had the deceased been Mohammad Ismaayil instead of Chandan Gupta, there would be been a different debate in the media... We have to change this mindset,” Giriraj Singh told reporters here. The Union minister said he felt the Kasganj incident was“pre-planned” adding that the Adityanath government would not spare anyone involved. Giriraj Singh also referred to Bareilly District Magistrate Raghvendra Vikram Singh's comments on Facebook that appeared to blame right-wing groups for provoking communal clashes.“I have come to know that a bureaucrat has made some remarks on why some are raising 'Pakistan Murdabad' slogans. I want to ask why not raise Pakistan Murdabad slogan. We raise this slogan as Pakistan kills our soldiers and is involved in spreading cross border ter- Major was not at Shopian firing spot: Army sources PRESS TRUST OF INDIA NEW DELHI, 30 JANUARY The Army major, who was mentioned in the FIR over death of two civilians in the firing incident in Jammu and Kashmir's Shopian district, was not present at the spot of the incident, Army sources claimed on Tuesday. The Army has launched an investigation into the incident, they added. “The major was not present at the site of the incident. He was around 200 metres away from it... He was in the vicinity of the spot,” a source said. Two civilians were killed when Army personnel fired at a stone-pelting mob in SILVER P15 38,740 -457.00 BRENT (OIL IN $) 63.47 +0.10 CHAMPION COLTS Poll panel told to submit affidavit after it sought to reply to charges NEW DELHI, 30 JANUARY Schoolchildren pay tributes to Mahatma Gandhi on his death anniversary at Gandhi IANS Samadhi in Hyderabad on Tuesday 30,223 HC asks EC to file facts on AAP MLAs' disqualification STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE THUMBNAILS SHUTTLERS KEEN ON BETTER SHOW IN INDIA OPEN US LIFTS BAN ON REFUGEES FROM ELEVEN COUNTRIES Shopian on Saturday, triggering protests and prompting Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti to order an inquiry into the incident. On Sunday, the police registered the FIR under sections 302 (murder) and 307 (attempt to murder) against the personnel of 10, Garhwal unit, of the Army. The Major, who led the Army personnel at the time of the incident, was also mentioned in the FIR. J-K Police chief S P Vaid said yesterday that registration of the FIR in the Shopian incident is just the beginning of the investigation and the Army's version would be taken into account as well. A defence spokesman on Sunday had said in Srinagar that the troops opened fire when a mob tried to lynch a junior commissioned officer and snatch his service weapon. “An Army administration convoy was passing through Ganovpora when it came under unprovoked and intense stone- pelting by a group of 100-120 stone-pelters. Within no time, their number swelled to 200-250 persons,” the spokesperson said. “The crowd surrounded an isolated portion of the convoy consisting of four vehicles,” he said, noting that the stone- pelters caused extensive damage to these vehicles and tried to set them on fire. rorism,” the minister said. The DM's now-deleted post said a “strange trend” that had begun of late was to visit Muslim majority areas and raise slogans against Pakistan. “Why? Are they (Muslims) Pakistanis?” The same thing had happened in Khailam village of Bareilly.Then stones were thrown, FIRs lodged,” the officer's post had said. A short service commission Army officer before joining the civil services, RaghvendraVikram Singh, 59, was last year posted as the district magistrate of Bareilly, about 100 km from Kasganj. He put up the Facebook post on Sunday, just two days after 22-year-old commerce student Chandan Gupta died in communal clashes that broke out in a Muslim-majority local- ity of Kasganj during a 'Tiranga bike rally' by members of the local unit of the RSS-affiliated students' group ABVP . Minister of State for Food Processing Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti said the incident should not be politicised. BJP MPVinay Katiyar, however, told a news channel that those who“support Pakistan” were behind the violence. “Earlier, there were no communal clashes in Kasganj district as all lived in harmony. But it has come to light that there are some miscreants who support Pakistan and will go to any extent to defy the tricolour. They need to be dealt with strictly,” he said. Katiyar claimed Gupta, who died of a bullet injury, was killed by the “supporters of Pakistan”. Indian players celebrate Pakistani batsman Imran Shah's wicket during the U-19 World Cup REPORT ON PAGE 16 semi-final in Christchurch on Tuesday. India won by 203 runs. (AFP ) 10 MLAs quit Nagaland Assembly; BJP backs out of poll boycott move PRESS TRUST OF INDIA KOHIMA/NEW DELHI, 30 JANUARY Amid heightened political activity in Nagaland following a call for deferment of the Assembly polls, 10 MLAs of the ruling Naga People's Front (NPF) have resigned from the party and the House, an official note said on Tuesday. Assembly polls in the restive state are slated for 27 February. The resignations were submitted on Monday, the day 11 political parties ~ including the NPF, its ally BJP and the Congress ~ signed a joint declaration not to contest the elections, bowing to the demand of tribal bodies and civil society groups that the protracted Naga political problem be resolved first. Speaker Imtiwapang accepted the resignations and the seats were declared vacant, a note from the Assembly secretariat said Tuesday. The MLAs said they had resigned heeding the “wishes of the Naga people for solution to the Naga political issue before the election”. “We have resigned in view of the resolution passed by the Nagaland Assembly on December 15 last year urging the Government of India to resolve the Naga political issue before the elections, and in support of the people's desire for solution before The Nagaland Assembly election,” they said. They said an agreement was also reached between civil societies, apex tribal organisations and political parties in Nagaland Monday to seek deferment of the elections. With their resignation altogether 13 MLAs ~ 12 of the NPF and one independent ~ have resigned from the Assembly. Out of the 13 who resigned, two have joined the BJP The NPF is now left . with 35 MLAs in the 60member Assembly, while the BJP has four. There are seven independent MLAs, while 14 seats are now vacant. Meanwhile, making a Uturn, BJP's Nagaland unit Tuesday backed out of a joint declaration signed by all parties in the state to boycott the upcoming Assembly polls which also led to suspension of a state party leader. As the IANS move by the BJP's state unit to be part of the declaration left its central leadership redfaced, Union Minister Kiren Rijiju went into damage control mode, saying elections are a constitutional process and the Central government is bound by the Constitution. Rijiju, who is the Minister of State for Home, is also the BJP's election in-charge for Nagaland. The BJP also suspended its state executive council member Kheto Semaparty, who had signed the joint declaration. The Nationalist Democratic Peoples' Party, Nagaland Congress, United Nagaland Democratic Party, Aam Admi Party, National Congress Party, Lok Janshakti Party, Janata Dal (United) and National People's Party were the other parties who signed the joint declaration. Yashwant launches Rashtra Manch, Shatru joins PRESS TRUST OF INDIA NEW DELHI, 30 JANUARY After months of snapping at the BJP a disgruntledYashwant , Sinha on Tuesday launched a political platform, joined by a number of politicians led by BJP MP Shatrughan Sinha. The new political platform 'Rashtra Manch' seeks to take the Centre on and would start a movement against its policies, former Union finance minister Yashwant Sinha said. Shatrughan Sinha said he had joined the platform because he had not been given a forum in his party for expressing his views, but added that his decision to back the front should not be seen as an anti-party activity as it was in national interest. Trinamul Congress MP Dinesh Trivedi, Congress MP Renuka Chowdhury, NCP MP Majeed Memon, Aam Aadmi The new political platform 'Rashtra Manch' seeks to take the Centre on and would start a movement against its policies, former Union finance minister Yashwant Sinha said Party MP Sanjay Singh, former Gujarat chief minister Suresh Mehta and JD(U) leader Pavan Varma were among those who attended the event marking the launch of the front. RLD leader Jayant Chaud- hary and former Union ministers Som Pal and Harmohan Dhawan were also present. Yashwant Sinha likened the present situation to that which prevailed 70 years ago when Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated, on this day, and said democracy and its institutions were under attack. He claimed that the Narendra Modi government had reduced farmers to “the status of beggars” and accused it of presenting “made to order” statistics to suit its interests. The senior leader, however, claimed that the 'Rashtra Manch' would be a non-party political action group, and insisted that it was not against any party but would work to highlight national issues. “It is not an organisation but a national movement,” he said, hitting out at the government's economic and foreign policies. “Everybody in the BJP is living in fear. We are not,” he said. Dialogue and debate in the country had become “coarse, one-sided and dangerous”, he added. “It seems mob has the job of giving justice,” he claimed. The first leg of the Budget Session of Parliament would effectively have only four working days, something that was unprecedented, he said. Taking up farmers' issues would be the top priority of his organisation, said the 80-year-old leader, who had held the finance and external affairs portfolios in the first NDA government. Sinha has publicly criticised the Modi government's economic policies and style of functioning. Last year, in an opinion piece for The Indian Express, Sinha wrote, “I shall be failing in my national duty if I did not speak up even now against the mess the finance minister has made of the economy.” He had added that many within the BJP were aware of the situation, but feared speaking up. In the no-holds barred piece, Sinha had also said that demonetisation had proved to be an “unmitigated economic disaster”.
The Statesman is one of India's oldest English newspapers. It was founded in Kolkata in 1875 and is directly descended from The Friend of India (founded 1818). The Englishman (founded 1821) was merged with The Statesman in 1934. The Delhi edition of The Statesman began publication in 1931. The Statesman Weekly is a compendium of news and views from the Kolkata and Delhi editions. Printed on airmail paper, it is popular with readers outside India. The Statesman (average weekday circulation approximately 180,000) is a leading English newspaper in West Bengal. The Sunday Statesman has a circulation of 230,000.