CMYK FRIDAY www.thestatesman.com 04 MAY 2018 FIND US ONLINE Scan this with your smartphone twitter.com/TheStatesmanLtd facebook.com/thestatesman1875 Pages 16 |` 5.00|LC KOLKATA | NEW DELHI | SILIGURI | BHUBANESWAR P3 SENSEX 35,103.14 -73.28 WEATHER Rain/thundershower with gusty winds likely in some areas. Temperature will be in the range of 34-26 degrees Celsius RAINFALL: Nil RELATIVE HUMIDITY Max.00% TEMPERATURE Max: 32.8°C (-3) SUN SETS TODAY 18:05 hrs MOON RISES 21.54 hrs NO RENEGOTIATION OF IRAN NUCLEAR DEAL: TEHERAN CUBA POST CASTRO SUSHMA TO FOCUS ON ROHINGYA ISSUE IN MYANMAR TRIP P6 NIFTY 10,679.65 -38.40 ` vs $ 66.64 +2.00 PAISE P10 GOLD 29,805.00 -40.00 70 National Film Award recipients skip function STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE Min: 23.9°C (-2) SUN RISES TOMORROW 05:02 hrs MOON SETS 08:14 hrs Moon phase: Third quarter on 8 May THUMBNAILS Promising batsman Shubman Gill smashed his maiden IPL half-century while Sunil Narine produced an all-round performance to guide Kolkata Knight Riders to a comfortable sixwicket win over Chennai Super Kings at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata on Thursday. AFP (P12) Trump confirms Daniels payment: US President Donald Trump confirmed that he reimbursed his personal lawyer the $130,000 the latter had given to adult film star Stormy Daniels days before the 2016 election to buy her silence over an alleged affair with the then presidential candidate. The President had previously denied knowledge of the payment, which has prompted complaints to the Justice Department and Federal Election Commission over potential violations of campaign finance law. Kasauli killing accused nabbed: Vijay Singh, the accused in the murder of a woman officer during a demolition drive in Kasauli in Himachal Pradesh on 1 May was on Thursday apprehended by a police team from Mathura in Uttar Pradesh. Singh is being brought to Solan, police said. The weapon used by him in the crime was, however, not recovered from him. Solan police had formed several teams which were conducting raids in neighbouring states of Punjab, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh to nab the culprit over the last two days. CBI arrests journalist: The CBI today arrested Delhi-based journalist Upendra Rai for allegedly indulging in dubious financial transactions and getting an airport access pass made by the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) by furnishing false information. Rai was questioned at the agency headquarters along with two others for the entire day before being arrested, officials said. Prasun Roy, chief security officer of Air One Aviation Pvt Ltd, was also booked by the Central Bureau of Investigation in the case, they said. NEW DELHI, 3 MAY xpressing their “dejection”, over 70 National Film Awards recipients Thursday decided to stay away from the award distribution ceremony here as President Ram Nath Kovind gave away only 11 awards, breaking from a long-held tradition, with the rest being given by Minister for Information and Broadcasting Smriti Zubin Irani along with Minister of State Rajyavardhan Rathore. The award winners termed it a "breach of trust". Filmmakers and artistes from across the country have written to the Directorate of Film Festival, President's office and the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, saying they feel “dejected rather than honoured” for their work. On Wednesday, the awardees were informed that a large segment of the awards will not be presented by the President. They discussed the matter with Irani the same evening and were promised a reply. “In the circumstance of not receiving a response for our grievance, we are left with no option but to be absent from the ceremony. We do not intend to boycott the award, but are not attending the ceremony to convey our discontent and are awaiting a more just solution,” the letter said. But the President's office expressed surprise at the “11th hour protest”, saying it was known that Mr Kovind E Some of the National Film Award winners who decided not to attend the award ceremony at Hotel Ashok in the Capital on Thursday. AMARJEET SINGH attends all award functions for a maximum of one hour. "This has been the protocol since he took office. It was conveyed to Information and Broadcasting Ministry several weeks ago and the ministry knew this all along,” said Ashok Malik, press secretary to the President. But the award winners said: “it feels like a breach of trust when an institution/ceremony that abides by extreme protocol, fails to inform of such a vital aspect of the ceremony with prior notice. It seems unfortunate that 65 years of tradition are being overturned in a jiffy.” However, several personalities from the film world including Riddhi Sen, Divya Dutta, Rima Das, Pankaj Tripathi, K J Yesudas, Jayaraj and Bhanita Das were seen taking early seats at the ceremony. Yesudas was in fact a signatory to the letter as well as well-known Bengali film maker Kaushik Ganguly and actor Fahadh Faasil. Ganguly, Faasil and actor Parvathi were among those who did not attend the function. Ganguly who directed Nagarkirtan said: “The National Award is a matter of passion for many as it is the President's Award. Even the newspaper advertisement clearly mentions that ‘Awards will be handed over by honourable President’.” Ganguly pointed out that the National Awards are an “apolitical award”. “When ministers get involved, the essence of this award no longer remains the same. Dreams have been shattered and many recipients have felt very much insulted,” he said. “The President could not spare an hour or so for the deserving awardees of the nation. We haven't taken this change in a good light and have taken it as a disrespect," he added. The President gave away the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, Nargis Dutt Award for Feature Films on National Integration, Best Book on Cinema, Best Direction (non-feature film), Best Jasari Film, Best Male Playback Singer, Best Music Direction (songs and background music), Best Actress, Best Actor, Best Direction (feature film), Best Feature Film and Best Editing. The Dadasaheb Phalke Award was given posthumously toVinod Khanna, whose wife Kavita Khanna and son Akshaye Khanna received it. Another posthumous honour went to Sridevi, who won the Best Actress SC flays Centre for not finalising CMB STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE NEW DELHI, 3 MAY The Supreme Court today took strong note of the Centre’s delay in framing the Cauvery management scheme to implement its verdict on river water sharing between four southern states, even as Tamil Nadu attacked the Centre for its “partisan” attitude saying this was the “end of cooperative federalism”. A bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra asked the Centre to file an affidavit by May 8 giving details of steps taken to frame the scheme, which was ordered for smooth release of water from Karnataka to Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry. “Mr Venu- gopal (Attorney General), the scheme has to be finalised by the Centre and it should have been finalised by now. The states have no role in it,” the bench, also comprising Justices A M Khanwilkar and DY Chandrachud, said. Attorney General K K Venugopal said the hearing on setting up of the scheme, under which Cauvery Management Board (CMB) has be constituted, be deferred by ten days till the Karnataka polls are over as the Prime Minister and his cabinet colleagues are busy campaigning. He also said the draft scheme, which has to be cleared by the Union Cabinet, could not be put for approval due to the ongoing campaign. He also referred to the recent communication of the Karnataka chief minister that the water resources ministers of all four states be made members of the CMB, has created an issue which also needed to be resolved. Senior advocate Shekhar Naphade, appearing for Tamil Nadu said “this is the end of cooperative federalism and the rule of law in the country. This is the partisan attitude of the union of India to favour Karnataka.” “I am saying this with full sense of responsibility that the Centre is playing politics and is more worried about its poll prospects in Karnataka than following the apex court order,” Naphade said, adding that the judgment had said that the scheme had to be framed within four weeks and this was nothing but “dilly dallying”. The court, meanwhile, warned the Karnataka government and asked it to establish its bonafide by releasing water and said it may take suo motu cognisance of contempt and seek the presence of state's chief secretary before it. During the hearing, the court first asked Karnataka to release 4 tmcft water by May 8, then asked it to release 2 tmcft water and at the end, ordered it to apprise the bench “as to how much water can be released”. The court assured Tamil Nadu that the Cauvery water would be released as per its verdict. 530 journalists killed globally in 2012-2016 KPRESS TRUST OF INDIA The number of killings was 67.72 per cent higher than the 316 recorded during the previous five-year period from 2007 to 2011-end NEW DELHI, 3 MAY The number of journalists killed all over the world has seen a sharp rise in five years, with 530 such deaths ~ 18 of them in India ~ being reported from 2012 to 2016end, a UNESCO report released today said. The report on World Trends in Freedom of Expression and Media Development Global Report 2017/2018' said the number of killings was 67.72 per cent higher than the 316 recorded during the previous five-year period from 2007 to 2011-end. Syria, with 86, recorded the highest number of killings, followed by Iraq (46) , Mexico (37), Somalia (36), Pakistan ( 30), Brazil (29), the Philippines and Yemen (21 each), Afghanistan (20), Honduras (19), India (18), Libya (17) and Guatemala (14). Ten journalists were killed in Bangladesh, 10 in Ukraine, A vigil in Siliguri on Thursday for ten journalists killed in a targeted suicide bombing in Kabul, Afghanistan, on 30 April. AFP eight in France and six each in Paraguay and Turkey. The year 2012 proved to be the deadliest year on record, with 124 journalists killed,” said the report, released on the occasion of World Press Freedom Day, which is marked today. Although the number of journalists killed every year has seen a slight decline since 2012, the figures are still alarmingly high, the report said. With a number of Member States that have experienced periods of violent conflict, the Arab region remains the most dangerous for journalists, with 191 journalists killed between 2012 and 2016, including a significant peak of 50 deaths in 2012, it said. Despite registering a decline in the following years, the overall the region represents 36 per cent of all cases. Latin America and the Caribbean saw an increase in the number of journalists killed during the period, with 125 killings overall and a peak of 28 in 2016. This trend can be largely attributed to organised crime, drug trafficking and corruption, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization report said. After a steep decline prior to CMYK 2014, the killings sharply rose across Asia and the Pacific region, with a total of 107 killings, and a high of 27 in 2016. Comparatively, Africa, with 73 deaths, has seen a distinct decline in the killings of journalists over the five years, down from 26 in 2012 to seven in 2016. Killings throughout Central and Eastern Europe have fluctuated over the past five years, presenting no clear trend but remaining relatively low, the report said. As many as 17 journalist were killed in the region. A generally low-risk region for lethal violence against journalists, Western Europe and North America (17 killings) have seen uncharacteristically high killings in the past three years largely due to violent extremism, it added. Of the total 530 killings in 2012-2016, as many as 166 were TV journalists, 142 print, 118 radio, 75 online and 29 cross-platform. P12 SILVER 39,400.00 +200.00 Recipients upset over the President giving away only 11 awards in break with tradition Min. 00% ‘WINNING IN INDIA IS THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE’ award for her performance in Mom. Her husband Boney Kapoor and daughters Jahnvi and Khushi accepted the honour. Actor Riddhi, the Best Actor winner for the film Nagarkirtan, who received the honour from the President said the decision for others was unfair. "My award of Best Actor will be handed over by the President because it is coming under those 11 categories. There is no doubt about the fact that what is happening is wrong. This is discrimination and this is absolutely unfair." The award winners had suggested that speeches and other frills be edited from the ceremony so that the President can accommodate more of them. "We as filmmakers and artists put in all that we have and tenaciously stick to our dreams in a field of work where appreciation does not come easily. We are disheartened to know that we will be deprived of the honour of this appreciation of a once in a lifetime moment of pride and glory that the National Film Awards had promised us," they wrote. Newton producer Manish Mundra, whose film won the National Award for best Hindi film, tweeted: “The whole inherent and intrinsic value of #NationalFilmAwards is due to the fact that it's being given away by (the President). Otherwise it's just one amongst the other many film awards mushrooming across the country! #NationalFilmAwards." BRENT CRUDE (IN $) 73.04 -0.32 SC rejects plea to stay its verdict on SC/ST law PRESS TRUST OF INDIA NEW DELHI, 3 MAY The Supreme Court today rejected the Centre's plea for a stay on its verdict on the SC/ST Act and said it favoured “100 per cent” the protection of the rights of these communities and punishing those guilty of atrocities against them. The top court also strongly disagreed with the Centre's contention that its 20 March verdict had led to loss of lives in the violence that had broken out later in several states. The Centre told the top court that its 20 March verdict, laying down guidelines putting certain safeguards on the immediate arrest of a person for offences, countermanded the law enacted by the legislature and should thus be stayed and the case referred to a larger bench. But a bench of Justices Adarsh Goel and U U Lalit refused to stay the verdict and said various aspects and earlier judgments of the top court were considered before arriving at this conclusion. “It's not that the judgment says there shall be no registration of crime. It's not that accused shall not be arrested. The safeguards were for the purpose that a person should not be readily arrested or an innocent punished because there was no provision of anticipatory bail under the SC/ST Act,” the bench said. It clarified that the court has not asked for non-registration of an FIR for the offences under the SC/ST Act, but sought verification 27 charred to death in Bihar bus crash STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE PATNA, 3 MAY At least 27 passengers were killed after a Delhi-bound passenger bus overturned and caught fire in East Champaran district of Bihar this afternoon. Most of the bodies were charred beyond recognition. The state government has ordered a inquiry into the incident. As per reports, the bus carrying around 35 passengers had left for Delhi from Muzaffarpur bus stop. However, as it crossed into east Champaran district, a biker came its way and in a bid to avoid him, the driver lost control of the bus and the vehicle fell into the roadside ditch. Within moments, it went up in flames. The fire spread so fast that most of the passengers did not get time to escape and were charred to death. Only a few passengers managed to escape. As per reports, the bus was fitted with an air-conditioner, which is believed to have caught fire. “As per my information, 27 passengers have been killed in the inci- dent,” Bihar disaster management minister Dinesh Chandra Yadav told newsmen today, adding that a massive relief and rescue operation had been launched. According to the minister, the bus driver lost control over the vehicle in a bid to avoid a motorcyclist. He also announced a compensation of Rs 4 lakh to be paid to the family of each victim. Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar expressed grief over the incident. The chief minister was addressing a function when the news of the deadly accident came in. He got up from the chair and asked the audience to stand too and observe one minute’s silence as a mark of respect for the dead souls. Rescue teams have rushed to the spot and were trying hard to extricate the charred bodies. The challenge before the authorities now is to identify the bodies and hand them over to their families. State disaster management secretary Pratyay Amrit said the casualty figures might go up. (Photo tweeted by ANI) No, this judgment cannot be blamed for the loss of lives. We are hundred per cent for the protection of rights of SC/ST community. Those who took law into their hands should be punished in accordance with law. Those at fault needs to be punished THE SUPREME COURT before registration of FIR, so that innocents do not get penalised. However, Attorney General K K Venugopal, appearing for the Centre, said after the 20 March verdict, there has been loss of lives in several parts of country and that the order contradicts the existing provisions of SC/ST Act. “There is separation of powers which is part of the basic structure of the Constitution and the court can only lay down guidelines for disposal of a case but cannot lay guidelines in general in the nature of law, for the whole country,” he said.The bench disagreed and said there were several apex court verdicts by which rules were framed including bringing in the existence of Collegium system for appointment of judges. Venugopal said that courts can fill up the gap in legislation but cannot lay down the guidelines which are inconsistent with the law made by the legislation. The bench said it has not added a single new word in the law and just incorporated in its order, what was already existing in the law. Toll 109 in overnight storm in UP, Rajasthan LUCKNOW/JAIPUR, 3 MAY A storm barrelled through a swathe of Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh overnight, killing at least 109 people in a trail of destruction that brought down mud houses, uprooted trees and flattened crops, officials said today. Nearly 200 others were injured as a massive dust storm last night, followed by thunder showers, snapped power lines and sent tin roofs and street hoardings flying in parts of eastern Rajasthan and adjoining areas of Uttar Pradesh. Seventy-three people were killed in UP and 91 injured, officials said. In Rajasthan, 36 died and another 100 were injured as winds over 100 kmph hit the region around 7 pm. The worst period lasted about 45 minutes, according to reports from Dholpur in Rajasthan. But the extent of the damage was known only this morning. The Met department today predicted another dust storm in parts of Rajasthan and UP in the next 48 hours. A Met official told PTI in Jaipur that his department had been issuing dust storm warnings for the past couple of days. In UP Agra district was , the worst hit, accounting for at least 43 deaths and injuries to 51 others, officials said. Besides Agra, the other storm-hit UP districts were Bijnor, Bareli, Saharanpur, Pilibhit, Firozabad, Chitrakoot, Muzaffarnagar, Rae Bareli and PTI Unnao. Details on page 3
The Statesman is one of India's oldest English newspapers. It was founded in Kolkata in 1875 and is directly descended from The Friend of India (founded 1818). The Englishman (founded 1821) was merged with The Statesman in 1934. The Delhi edition of The Statesman began publication in 1931. The Statesman Weekly is a compendium of news and views from the Kolkata and Delhi editions. Printed on airmail paper, it is popular with readers outside India. The Statesman (average weekday circulation approximately 180,000) is a leading English newspaper in West Bengal. The Sunday Statesman has a circulation of 230,000.