WEDNESDAY www.thestatesman.com 9 MAY 2018 FIND US ONLINE Scan this with your smartphone twitter.com/TheStatesmanLtd facebook.com/thestatesman1875 Pages 16 |`3|LC KOLKATA | NEW DELHI | SILIGURI | BHUBANESWAR RELIGION OF JOY ‘TOURIST KILLING GOES AGAINST KASHMIRI ETHOS’ P5 SENSEX 35,216.32 +8.18 WEATHER Rain or thundershowers with strong gusty winds. The maximum and minimum temperatures would be around 35 and 25 degrees Celsius respectively. RAINFALL: Nil RELATIVE HUMIDITY Max.54% TEMPERATURE Max: 34.7°C (-4) SUN RISES 05:34 hrs MOON RISES 02.21 hrs MORE TROUBLE FOR SHARIF P8 NIFTY 10,717.80 +2.30 ` vs $ 67.08 +5 PAISE P13 GOLD 29,990 -115.00 Min: 25.2°C (0) SUN SETS 19:01 hrs MOON SETS 13:04 hrs SC raps Centre over Cauvery ‘inaction’ THUMBNAILS STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE NEW DELHI, 8 MAY Thalassaemia and AIDS Prevention Society activists observing World Thalassaemia Day in DILIP DUTTA Kolkata on Tuesday. 4 injured in Badarpur wall collapse: Three children and a woman were injured when the parapet of a building collapsed in Badarpur area of south east Delhi on Tuesday night, apparently due to the high-speed winds, a Delhi Fire Service official said. A call about the incident was received at 9.40 pm, the official said. The injured were rushed to a hospital, he said, adding the affected building was an old structure and the parapet collapsed due to the storm. Parts of the national capital witnessed a dust storm coupled with light rains in the evening. Probe into carcass meat scam: The panic over the carcass meat racket in West Bengal has prompted the state government to form a high-power committee for keeping a check on such malpractices, CM Mamata Banerjee said on Tuesday. The police recently busted a racket involved in supplying decomposed meat from dumping grounds to restaurants. The committee, headed by the Chief Secretary would devise a mechanism to deal with it. Lalu seeks parole to attend son’s wedding: RJD president Lalu Prasad, serving sentence in fodder scam cases, has sought a five-day parole to attend the wedding of his elder son later this week, his lawyer and one of his close aides said on Tuesday. The septuagenarian Prasad, who has been convicted in three fodder scam cases by a special CBI court at Ranchi since December last year, is ailing and undergoing treatment at RIMS hospital in the Jharkhand capital. ICICI Bank: Govt director to maintain distance: Lok Ranjan, the government appointed nominee director of the board of ICICI Bank skipped the board meeting during the banks result on Monday. Officials said the government will maintain a distance and is unlikely to attend any board meeting of ICICI Bank until investigations related to alleged conflict of interest associated with the bank's loan to P11 the Videocon group is on. NEW DELHI, 8 MAY T bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra said when theTamil Nadu Government alleged that the non-framing of the policy was a blatant violation of the crucial judgement in the Cauvery case. “We do not want to come back to square one. Once the judgment has been delivered, it has to be implemented,” the bench, also comprising Justices A M Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud, said. The bench directed the Secretary of the Union Water Resources Ministry to personally appear before it on May 14 with the draft of the Cauvery management scheme to implement its verdict on water sharing between four riparian states. At outset, senior advocate Shekhar Naphade, appearing for Tamil Nadu government, said the state, which was facing acute water shortage, was not getting its due share. “We are being taken for a ride by the central government ... Are we waiting for the votes to be cast on May 12 (in Karnataka polls),” the lawyer asked. He vehmently opposed Venugopal's plea that the case be adjourned till May 14 as the Union Cabinet has not been able to meet to approve the draft Cauvery scheme due to the campaigning in Karnataka. “This is the fit case for contempt. Somebody has to be sent to jail,” Naphade said. Venugopal referred to the sensitive nature of the Cauvery water dispute and said Tamil Nadu and Karnataka have witnessed violent protests over it in the past. The top law officer referred to previous orders, including the one passed on May 3, and said “the cabinet was not available on that day and this is why we are seeking 6-8 days time till May 14”. Venugopal also referred to the violent protests across the country after the apex court judgement in the SC/ST matter and said the Cauvery draft scheme would be put before the cabinet as soon as possible. Taking exception to the submissions, the counsel for Tamil Nadu said, “Now, the cat is out of the bag.. we will not be getting the water”. The bench intervened by saying, “We must understand the purspose behind framing the (Cauvery management) scheme. It is for implementation of the order”. It then referred to the adjustments to be made in the shares of stakeholder states in water deficient years. The bench said Cauvery Management Scheme, once finalised, would deal with the issue of water share of four states in different circumstances like normal and deficient water years in the Cauvery river basin. Trump pulls US out of Iran N-deal PRESS TRUST OF INDIA WASHINGTON, 8 MAY President Donald Trump Tuesday pulled the US out of the 2015 landmark nuclear deal with Iran, an Obama-era accord which he has repeatedly criticised as “disastrous”. “It is clear to me that we cannot prevent Iran nuclear bomb. The Iran deal is defective at its core. Therefore, I am announcing today that the United States would withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal,” Trump said. Moments later he signed fresh set of sanctions against Iran and warned countries against any cooperation with Tehran on its controversial nuclear weapons programme. The “disastrous” deal gave Iran millions in cash and did not prevent it from acquiring nuclear weapons, he said. In reversing the signature foreign policy accomplishment of his predecessor Barack Obama, Trump by taking this decision ignored advice against such a move from his key European allies and top US Democratic leaders. Describing this as a bad deal, Trump said that the nuclear deal is unlikely to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. Before Trump's announcement in this regard, which was televised live, top administration officials including Vice President Mike Pence informed Congress about his decision. “The Iranian promise of abandoning its nuclear weapons is a lie,” Trump alleged. Allowing the deal to stay would result in an arms race in the region, he said, adding that the deal does nothing to constrain Iran's “destabilising behaviour”. Ever since his election campaign, Trump has frequently criticised the Obama- era Iran nuclear deal, also known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action or JCPOA. He had described the agreement, which was negotiated by then US secretary of state John Kerry, as a bad deal. The Iran nuclear deal was reached in Vienna in July 2015 between Iran and the P5 (the five permanent members of the UN Security Council) plus Germany and the European Union. Trump's decision would have global ramifications, straining Iranian economy and heightening tensions in the Middle East. Referring to his consultation with key American allies, Trump said it is that they cannot prevent an Iranian nuclear bomb under the “decaying and rotten” structure of the current agreement. BRENT CRUDE (IN $) 75.68 -0.49 Congress MPs withdraw CJI impeachment plea from SC SNS & PTI he Supreme Court on Tuesday warned the Centre that it was in “sheer contempt” of its February 16 verdict by not framing the Cauvery management scheme on river water sharing between four southern riparian states till now. It directed the Secretary of the Union Water Resources Ministry to appear before it on May 14 with the draft scheme. The harsh comments of the top court came after Attorney General K K Venugopal said the Union Cabinet has not been able to meet to approve the draft scheme as the leaders, including the Prime Minister, were busy in the ongoing poll campaign in Karnataka. He also said the Cauvery issue would be placed before the cabinet soon. The Union Cabinet had last met on May 2. The apex court had in its February verdict asked the Centre to frame the Cauvery management scheme, which also included creating the Cauvery Managament Board, within six weeks for the release of water from Karnataka to Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry with a caveat that the deadline cannot be extended. “You (Centre) are in sheer contempt,” a P16 SILVER 39,600.00 -100.00 ‘Govt was in sheer contempt of court’s 16 Feb verdict’; Secy summoned Min. 31% KARUN NAIR REPLACES KOHLI FOR AFGHANISTAN TEST Two Congress MPs on Tuesday withdrew from the Supreme Court their petition challenging the rejection of the impeachment motion notice against Chief Justice of India (CJI) Dipak Misra by Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu after the five-judge Constitution Bench expressed its reluctance to entertain their demand seeking the administrative order constituting this Bench to hear their plea. Appearing for the two Congress MPs, Partap Singh Bajwa from Punjab and Amee Yajnik from Gujarat, before the Constitution Bench headed by Justice A K Sikri, senior advocate Kapil Sibal ~ a Congress MP who was one of the signatories to the impeachment notice by 64 MPs in the Rajya Sabha ~ demanded a "copy of the administrative order by which a Constitution Bench was constituted overnight". The Bench ~ also comprising Justices S A Bobde, N V Ramana, Arun Mishra and A K Goel ~ reportedly told Sibal that giving him a copy of the administrative order "will not lead to anywhere" and that he should argue the matter on merit. Sibal insisted that the petitioners ~ who had moved their plea Monday for urgent listing before a Bench headed by Justice J Chelameswar, the seniormost after CJI Misra, and also comprising Justice S K Kaul, which had asked them to "come back tomorrow" ~ were entitled to know the authority who had last evening constituted the Constitution Bench through an administrative order to hear their plea. Sibal also maintained that the petitoners were entitled to know the details of the order in order to consider whether they would like to challenge it or not, insisting that Constitution Benches are set up through judicial orders. Justice Sikri asked, "What purpose the order will serve to you? It will not lead us anywhere". Sibal replied, "It is my right to have the order. I may or may not challenge it. It is my prerogative. I want to know the authority who had passed the administrative order." He repeatedly told the Bench, "Can the order passed on the administrative side be challenged on the judicial side or please record that I am not entitled to it." Sibal maintained that if he is not given Mallya loses $1.55 bn case in UK court PRESS TRUST OF INDIA LONDON, 8 MAY Embattled liquor tycoon Vijay Mallya, undergoing an extradition trial in a UK court over fraud and money laundering charges by Indian authorities,Tuesday lost a lawsuit filed by 13 Indian banks in the UK High Court seeking to collect from him more than USD 1.55 billion. Judge Andrew Henshaw refused to overturn a worldwide order freezing 62-year-old Mallya's assets and upheld an Indian court's ruling that a consortium of 13 Indian banks were entitled to recover funds amounting to nearly USD 1.55 billion (1.145 billion pounds). The victory for the banks, which claimed the businessman had wilfully defaulted on the loans accessed from them, will enable them to enforce the Indian judgment against Mallya's assets in England andWales. The worldwide freezing order prevents Mallya from removing any assets from England andWales up to that value or to in any way dispose of, deal with or diminish the value of his assets in or outside of this jurisdiction, up to the same value. “Today's judgment is a very important decision not just for our clients, who want to proceed in this jurisdiction with enforcing the judgment they secured against Dr Mallya in India, but also for Indian and international banks more generally,” said Paul Gair, from UK law firmTLT which represented the Indian banks in the London court. “In dismissing Dr Mallya's application, the High Court has demonstrated its willingness to recognise judgments granted by courts in other jurisdictions, giving parties opportunities to enforce their judgments against any assets held here.This case also sets a strong precedent for parties to secure a worldwide freezing order when enforcing judgments against wilfull defaulters,” he said. H1B visas: The high & low of Indian beneficiaries AGENCIES WASHINGTON, 8 MAY Technology professionals from India accounted for 74.2 per cent of the total number of H1B visas issued by the US in 2016 and the next year the figure rose to 75.6 per cent, a government report said on Tuesday. However, there has been a drop in the number of new H1B beneficiaries from India, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services report said. China with 9.3 and 9.4 per cent respectively for 2016 and 2017, comes a distant second after India in terms of number of H-1B visas issued. The number of beneficiaries from India approved for initial employment decreased by 4.1 per cent in fiscal 2017, while the number of beneficiaries approved for continuing employment increased by 12.5 per cent in fiscal 2017, the USCIS said in its latest report titled 'Characteristics of H1B Specialty Occupation Workers'. The H-1B visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows US companies to employ foreign workers in speciality occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise. The technology companies depend on it to hire tens of thousands of employees each year. The USCIS said petitions for initial employment are filed for firsttime H-1B employment with an employer, only some of which are applied to the annual cap. Examples of petitions for initial employment that are exempt from the cap include petitions submitted by non- The H-1B visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows US companies to employ foreign workers in speciality occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise. The technology companies depend on it to hire tens of thousands of employees each year profit research organisations or governmental research organisations. Continuing employment petitions refer to extensions, sequential employment and concurrent employment, which are filed for foreigners already in the US. Extensions generally are filed for H-1B workers intending to work beyond the initial three-year period up to a total of 6 years, the maximum period gener- ally permissible under law. In 2016, as many as 70,737 Indians received initial H-1B visas, which dropped to 67,815. During the same period, Indians accounted for 185,489 visas for continuing employment, which increased to 208,608 in 2017. In all there were 256,226 Indians on H1B visas in 2016 and 276,423 in 2017. A copy of the report, sent to US lawmakers on April 10, became public this week. Dismantling several myths about H-1B, the USCIS said the median salary of beneficiaries of approved petitions increased from USD 82,000 for fiscal year 2016 to USD 85,000 for fiscal 2017. While the number of H-1B petitions filed increased 1.24 per cent from 398,718 in 2016 to 403,675 in 2017, the number of H-1B petitions approved increased 5.9 per cent from 345,262 in 2016 to 365,682 in 2017. According to the report the number of H-1B petitions approved in 2017 for workers between the ages of 25 and 34 was 66.2 per cent, the number of H-1B petitions approved in 2017 for workers with a bachelor's degree was 45.2 per cent. In addition, 44.5 per cent of approved petitions were for workers with a master's degree, 6.8 per cent had a doctorate, and 3.3 per cent were for workers with a professional degree. The number of H-1B petitions approved in 2017 for workers in computer-related occupations was 69.8 per cent, it said. The number of H-1B petitions approved for workers in computer-related occupations increased by 6.6 per cent from 237,837 in 2016 to 254,592 in 2017. The number of H-1B petitions for all other occupation groups increased by 3.4 per cent from 106,418 in 2016 to 110,009 in 2017, the report said. a copy of the administrative order, then he will withdraw the petition. The Bench declared the petition as “dismissed as withdrawn” after Sibal decided not to press the plea. Earlier, Attorney General K K Venugopal, appearing for Rajya Sabha Chairman Naidu, sought dismissal of the petition, pointing out that only two of the 64 members, who had moved the impeachment notice in the Upper House against the CJI, have moved the top court. Venugopal said only two MPs from the Congress moved the apex court while there were MPs from six other Opposition parties who had moved the impeachment notice in the Rajya Sabha. "Once the decision is given by the Rajya Sabha Chairman, which in the instant case is a very reasoned order, there are two options, either you challenge it or accept it. In this context, it means six parties and 62 MPs have accepted the Chairman's order. At least 50 MPs should have come before the court," the AG said. The two Congress MPs' plea charged that the reasons given by the Rajya Sabha Chairman while rejecting their notice on 23 April were "wholly extraneous", "legally untenable" and unconstitutional. TURN TO PAGE 7 Rahul ready to be PM if party tops 2019 polls BENGALURU, 8 MAY Congress president Rahul Gandhi said onTuesday he is ready to occupy the prime minister's post if his party emerges as the “biggest” party in the 2019 Lok Sabha polls, making known his ambition for the topmost executive post. “Well, it depends....it depends on how well the Congress does in the election....I mean, if it emerges as the biggest party, yes,” Gandhi said, when asked during an interaction here if he would be the next prime minister. This is not the first time Gandhi has spoken about his PM ambition. In an interaction at the Berkley University in the US in September last year, Gandhi had said he was “absolutely ready” to be the prime ministerial candidate of the Congress in 2019 Lok Sabha elections. Amid the cut and thrust of the Karnataka Assembly polls, Gandhi said he is “pretty confident” that Narendra Modi would not be the next PM, and if the Congress acts as a“platform” (with other parties in a coalition), the BJP does not stand a chance of winning the elections. “It is highly unlikely that BJP will form the next government, and the second part is that it is close to impossible that Modi will be the next PM,” Gandhi said, speaking at a function where he launched 'Samruddha Bharat FounPTI dation'.
The Statesman is one of India's oldest English newspapers. It was founded in Kolkata in 1875 and is directly descended from The Friend of India (founded 1818). The Englishman (founded 1821) was merged with The Statesman in 1934. The Delhi edition of The Statesman began publication in 1931. The Statesman Weekly is a compendium of news and views from the Kolkata and Delhi editions. Printed on airmail paper, it is popular with readers outside India. The Statesman (average weekday circulation approximately 180,000) is a leading English newspaper in West Bengal. The Sunday Statesman has a circulation of 230,000.