CMYK MONDAY www.thestatesman.com 09 JULY 2018 FIND US ONLINE Scan this with your smartphone twitter.com/TheStatesmanLtd facebook.com/thestatesman1875 Pages 16 |` 5.00|LC* KOLKATA | NEW DELHI | SILIGURI | BHUBANESWAR P10 WEATHER Generally cloudy sky. Rain/thundershower likely in some areas. Temperature will be in the range of 33/27 degrees Celsius RAINFALL: 2.6 mm RELATIVE HUMIDITY Max.89% TEMPERATURE NITISH TO DECIDE JD-U STAND ON POLITICAL ISSUES INDIA HAS TAKEN QUANTUM JUMP IN WRONG DIRECTION POMPEO BRUSHES OFF NORTH KOREA’S ‘GANGSTER’ TAG P5 FOOTBALL IS NOW THE GAME OF THE HAVE-LOTS P2 4 rescued from Thai cave Nine more of trapped soccer team still inside cave; operation paused for next 10-12 hours ASSOCIATED PRESS MAE SAI, 8 JULY Min. 66% escuers in northern Thailand on Sunday extracted four members of a youth soccer team from the cave where they had been trapped for more than two weeks, part of an ongoing operation to rescue the 12 boys and their coach. The head of the operation said it was going “better than expected.” The operation to rescue the boys, ages 11-16, and their 25-year-old coach by having them dive out of the flooded cave began Sunday morning, with expert divers entering the sprawling complex for the complicated and dangerous mission. Shortly before 8 p.m. local time, Thai navy SEALs, who are taking part in the rescue operation, reported on their official Facebook page that four had been rescued. Chiang Rai acting Governor Narongsak Osatanakorn, who is heading the operation, said the four boys had been taken to a hospital. “The operation went much better than expected,” Narongsak said at a news conference, adding that the healthiest were taken out first. He said the next phase of the operation would start in 10-20 hours. The entire operation to Moon phase: First quarter on 10 July THUMBNAILS Dipa wins gold, makes history: Dipa Karmakar on Sunday scripted history by becoming the first Indian gymnast to clinch a gold medal at a global event, announcing in style her comeback from a career-threatening injury, at the FIG Artistic Gymnastics World Challenge Cup in Mersin, Turkey. Returning to action after a lay-off of nearly two years due to a knee injury, Dipa emerged triumphant in the vault event. The 24-year-old from Tripura, who had finished fourth in vault event at the 2016 Rio Olympics, scored 14.150 to win the top prize. She had topped the qualification with a score of 13.400. MM Jacob dead: Senior Congress leader and former Meghalaya Governor M.M. Jacob died at a private hospital near Kottayam on Sunday, family sources said. Jacob, 92, had been suffering from age related illnesses, according to the sources. He remained active in politics by taking part in party meetings and had settled in Palai, where his last rites would be held Monday. He was the Meghalaya Governor from 1995 to 2007. Jacob served as the Deputy Chairperson of the Upper House for two terms -- 1982 and 1986. He was also the Union Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Water Resources and Home Affairs in the cabinets of former Prime Ministers Rajiv Gandhi and P.V. Narashima Rao. Amarnath yatra hampered: Amarnath pilgrims were not allowed to move towards the cave shrine from Jammu on Sunday due to a separatist-called protest shutdown in the Kashmir Valley, police said. The protest shutdown was called to mark the second death anniversary of Hizbul commander Burhan Wani who was killed along with his two associates by the security forces on this day in 2014 in Anantnag's district's Kokarnag area. "No yatri movement was allowed today from Jammu's Bhagwati Nagar Yatri Niwas towards the Valley," the police said. Officials of the Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board said 10,107 pilgrims performed the pilgrimage on Saturday as Yatris were allowed to move towards the shrine from both Baltal and the Pahalgam base camps. Parallel polls to erode federalism, law panel told INDO-ASIAN NEWS SERVICE R Max: 33.1°C (+1) Min: 27.6°C (+1) SUN RISES SUN SETS 04:59 hrs 18:25 hrs MOON RISES MOON SETS 00.33 hrs 13:28 hrs P11 NEW DELHI, 8 JULY An ambulance said to be carrying some of the rescued boys head to the hospital in Thailand’s Chiang Rai on Sunday. AFP rescue all 13 could last two to four days, depending on weather and water conditions, said army Maj. Gen. Chalongchai Chaiyakam. Narongsak said earlier in the day that 13 foreign and five Thai divers were taking part in the rescue and that two divers would accompany each boy as they’re gradually extracted. The only way to bring the boys and their coach out of the cave is by navigating dark and tight passageways filled with muddy water and strong currents, as well as oxygen-depleted air. A former Thai navy SEAL passed out and died making the dive Friday. Experienced cave rescue experts consider an underwater escape a last resort, especially with people untrained in diving, as the boys are. The path out is considered especially complicated because of twists and turns in narrow flooded passages. But Narongsak said earlier that mild weather and falling water levels over the last few days had created optimal conditions for an underwater evacuation that won’t last if it rains again. Before announcing that the rescue was underway, authorities ordered the throngs of media that have gathered at the cave from around the world to leave. The boys and their coach became stranded when they went exploring in the cave after a practice game June 23. Monsoon flooding cut off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for almost 10 days. The ordeal has riveted Thailand and made global headlines, and the search and rescue operation has involved international experts and rescuers. Authorities had said that incoming monsoon rains that could send water levels in the cave rising, coupled with falling oxygen levels in the enclosed space, added to the urgency of getting those trapped out. Earlier efforts to pump out water from the cave have been set back every time there has been a heavy downpour. Narongsak said Saturday that experts told him water from new rain could shrink the unflooded space where the boys are sheltering to just 10 square metres. “I confirm that we are at war with water and time from the first day up to today,” he said Saturday. “Finding the boys doesn’t mean we’ve finished our mission. It is only a small battle we’ve won, but the war has not ended. The war ends when we win all three battles ~ the battles to search, rescue and send them home.” A majority of regional parties that took part in a discussion on simultaneous polls on Sunday told the Law Commission that such an exercise would undermine the regional aspirations and erode the federal set up envisioned in the Constitution. While a few including the Samajwadi Party and Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) supported the idea of 'one-nation-one-election', some like the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) questioned the sincerity of the Centre towards poll reforms. The parties that came to see the law panel on Sunday included the DMK, Telugu Desam Party (TDP), Bodoland People's Front (BPF), Samajwadi Party, TRS, JD-S and AAP The . Congress and the BJP were conspicuous by their absence on the second day of the discussions too. Opposing the idea of simultaneous elections to Lok Sabha and the state legislatures, the TDP said the proposal was "impracticable" and "against the spirit of the Constitution and federal structure". "As per the Constitution, it is not possible and is impracticable. For simultaneous polls, either you have to extend or reduce the tenures of some state governments, which is against the spirit of the Constitution and federal structure," party MP K. Ravindra Kumar said. AAP's Ashish Khetan, after meeting the Law Commission, said that for simultaneous polls to happen, the Constitution of India will have to be "mutilated and rewritten completely". "We are against the idea of the so-called onenation-one-poll because it will turn India's federal democracy into a managed democracy," Khaitan said. Warning that simultaneous elections goes against the basic tenets of the Constitution, the DMK opposed the idea, saying it was unwarranted and practically not possible. “In sum, the present proposal of the Law Commission seems to be a complete misadventure that will decimate the federal structure. I respectfully submit my party's whole hearted opposition to the proposal," DMK working president M K Stalin said in writing. ‘Sarath ran, so the gunman shot him in the back’ HIGH MILEAGE PRESS TRUST OF INDIA NEW DELHI, 8 JULY Mahendra Singh Dhoni on Sunday became the first cricketer to take five catches in a Twenty20 international match and also reach 50 scalps in the shortest format in the match against England in Bristol. India won the match and the series. External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj today condoled the death of an Indian student during an attempted robbery in Kansas City in the USA and assured all required assistance to the family of the deceased. According to authorities in Kansas, Sharath Koppu, who hails from Telangana, was fatally shot during a suspected robbery at a restaurant where he worked. He died shortly after being taken to a hospital on Friday. “Kansas incident - My heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family. We will follow this up with the Police and provide all assistance to the family,” Swaraj tweeted. “I have spoken to Sharath's father Ram Mohan Reddy in Hyderabad to co- nvey our heartfelt condolences. We have offered that in case a family member wishes to go to Kansas, we will facilitate the US visa. Else we will bring the mortal remains at the earliest,” she said. Koppu was a software engineer who came to the US in January to pursue his master's degree. He worked part-time at J's Fish and Chicken Market, where the shooting took place. The Kansas City Police annou- nced a $10,000 reward for information leading to the suspect and released a brief video of the suspect in the restaurant moments before the shooting. Koppu's cousin created a GoFundMe account in the victim's name to pay for his body to be returned to India. The account raised $25,000 in three hours, The Kansas City Star reported. A worker at the store described to the paper what he saw on surveillance footage that has not been made public. The suspect, wearing a brown shirt with white stripes, demanded money and pulled out a gun. As people ducked or ran for cover around him, Koppu bolted directly away from the suspect. “(Koppu) ran, so he shot him” in the back, the paper quoted the worker as saying. India reconsidering Rs 2 lakh crore 5th generation fighter jet programme with Russia over cost issues Mahathir meets Naik, party defends no-deport decision Moon arrives; focus on economic ties PRESS TRUST OF INDIA PRESS TRUST OF INDIA NEW DELHI, 8 JULY NEW DELHI, 8 JULY India has conveyed to Russia its unwillingness to go ahead with the joint development of a fifthgeneration fighter aircraft (FGFA) primarily due to high cost involved in the project, official sources said. They, however, said the negotiations between the two countries on the much ambitious project have not yet been shelved as India was ready to have a relook at co-development of the jet if an appropriate cost sharing formula between the two countries was arrived at. India and Russia had signed an inter-governmental agreement for the mega project in 2007, vowing to take the military ties between the two strategic partners to the next level. However, the project has been stuck for the last 11 years as there have been serious differences between the two sides on sharing cost of developing the jet, technologies to be used in it and number of aircraft to be produced. The sources said the cost of the project has been estimated at around USD 30 billion or Rs 2 lakh crore. “Our position on various aspect of the project, including the cost component, has been conveyed to the Russian side and there has been no resolution to the issues yet,” a top official involved in the negotiations with Russia over the project said. In December 2010, India had agreed to pay USD 295 million towards the preliminary design of the fighter jet. Later, both sides had expressed intent to contribute each USD 6 billion for final design and production of the aircraft in the first phase. However, they could not come out with a final agreement on it. “We have not closed our door on the project,” the sources said. It is learnt that India was insisting on equal rights over the technology to be used in the aircraft but Russia was not ready to share all the critical tech- nologies of the plane with New Delhi. In the negotiations for the project, India had insisted that it must get all the required codes and access to critical technology so that it can upgrade the aircraft as per its requirements, sources said. In February 2016, both the countries had revived talks on the project after a clearance from then Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar. Sources said both sides were attempting to thrash out the sticky issues but added that India was not optimistic that the project will fructify due to cost involved in the project. State-run aerospace behemoth Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) is strongly pitching for the fifth-generation fighter jet project. HAL feels the multi-billion dollar project will provide India a significant opportunity to encourage its aerospace sector as no country has ever offered such critical technologies to India. There have been indications from the Indian Air Force that it was not very keen to pursue the project in view of the high cost. CMYK KUALA LUMPUR, 8 JULY Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has met Zakir Naik, wanted in India for alleged terror activities and money laundering, and a ruling party strategist has stoutly defended the government's decision not to deport the controversial Muslim preacher, Malaysian media reported today. The meeting, which may not go down well in New Delhi, took place yesterday, a day after Prime Minister Mahathir ruled out deporting Naik, who has permanent residency status in Malaysia, unless he breaks Malaysian laws. “I can confirm that Naik went to see Tun (Mahathir) this morning (Saturday),” Free Malaysia Today reported quoting a source as saying. It is unclear as to what Naik discussed with Mahathir in their first meeting since the ruling Pakatan Harapan assumed power in Putrajaya, the report said. The meeting between Naik and Mahathir comes a day after the prime minister gave the clearest indication yet that the Malaysian government would not deport Naik, who is wanted in India over allegations of money laundering and terrorism. There had been intense media speculation in India that the Malaysian government would act on an extradition request made in January. The Ministry of External Affairs had confirmed on Wednesday that an official request had been made. But yesterday, Mahathir said that the government would not deport Naik as he has been granted Malaysian permanent resident status, unless he causes trouble in the country. Meanwhile, a strategist of Malaysia's ruling Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) has defended Prime Minister Mahathir's decision not to deport Naik to India, saying doing so would be akin to deporting Uighur Muslims to China. PPBM strategist Rais Hussin said he could see no wrong in Naik's activities and speeches. Deporting him would be akin to deporting Uighur Muslims to China, he said, referring to China pressing Malaysia for the extradition of 11 Uighur men who entered Malaysia illegally last year after their dramatic escape from a jail in Thailand last year. South Korean President Moon Jae-in arrived here on Sunday on a four-day state visit during which he will hold extensive talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on bilateral ties as well as global issues, including recent developments in the Korean peninsula. Mr Moon is accompanied by several senior ministers and business honchos,. President Moon has a series of engagements during his stay. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will call on him on Monday morning. He is later scheduled to address the IndiaKorea Business Forum. On Tuesday, he will hold delegation-level talks with PM Modi, where they are expected to discuss steps to strengthen the special strategic partnership between the two counSNS tries.
The Statesman is one of India's oldest English newspapers. It was founded in Kolkata in 1875 and is directly descended from The Friend of India (founded 1818). The Englishman (founded 1821) was merged with The Statesman in 1934. The Delhi edition of The Statesman began publication in 1931. The Statesman Weekly is a compendium of news and views from the Kolkata and Delhi editions. Printed on airmail paper, it is popular with readers outside India. The Statesman (average weekday circulation approximately 180,000) is a leading English newspaper in West Bengal. The Sunday Statesman has a circulation of 230,000.