TUESDAY www.thestatesman.com 31 JULY 2018 FIND US ONLINE Scan this with your smartphone twitter.com/TheStatesmanLtd facebook.com/thestatesman1875 Pages 16 |`5|LC KOLKATA | NEW DELHI | SILIGURI | BHUBANESWAR P5 SENSEX 37,494.40 +157.55 WEATHER Generally cloudy sky with light rain/thundershowers likely to occur. The maximum and minimum temperatures would be around 34 and 24 degrees Celsius respectively. RAINFALL: Nil RELATIVE HUMIDITY Max. 100% Min. 64% TEMPERATURE Max: 34.5°C (0) SUN RISES 05:43 hrs MOON RISES 20:56 hrs Min: 23°C (-4) SUN SETS 19:13 hrs MOON SETS 08:30 hrs THUMBNAILS Indian-American Seema Nanda, who is the new CEO of Democratic National Committee, has vowed to ensure party’s victory in every corner of the US in the upcoming mid-term polls. Yamuna continues to rise, 10,000 people evacuated: The water level in the Yamuna river continued to rise and stayed over the danger mark for the third consecutive day in Delhi, prompting Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal to direct officials to make arrangements for the affected people, even as around 10,000 people have been evacuated to safer places. The river was flowing at 205.78 metres on Monday evening with the danger mark being 204.83 metres, officials said. P2 Karunanidhi stable: DMK president M Karunanidhi is stable and well, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami said after visiting the Kauvery hospital in Chennai to enquire about the leader's health. DMK workers continued to swarm the hospital premises, where Karunanidhi is being treated at the ICU for the third consecutive day, here despite police asking them to avoid crowding the area and party leader M K Stalin appealing for calm and cooperation with police in maintaining law and P10 order. Imran to take oath on 11 August: Imran Khan said on Monday that he will take oath as prime minister on August 11, even as his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party was striving to get the required numbers to form a government. The PTI, led by 65-year-old Khan, has emerged as the single largest party in the National Assembly after the July 25 elections, but it is still short of numbers to form the government on its own. Khan's party yesterday announced that it is trying to reach out to smaller parties and independents to form the next P12 govt. Bill passed to provide death for child rape convicts: A Bill seeking to provide death penalty to those convicted of raping girls below the age of 12 years and making the law against such sexual offences more stringent, was passed by the Lok Sabha. The bill replaces the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance promulgated on April 21, following an outcry over the rape and murder of a minor girl in Kathua in Jammu and Kashmir and the rape of another woman at P7 Unnao in Uttar Pradesh. MARAN TO FACE TRIAL IN TELEPHONE EXCHANGE CASE MODI SPEAKS TO IMRAN, WISHES PAK DEEP DEMOCRACY LALU, WIFE AND SON SUMMONED AS SCAM ACCUSED P10 P6 NIFTY 11,319.55 +41.20 ` vs $ 68.67 -2 PAISE GOLD 28,705.00 -80.00 Is this a targeted isolation of Bengalis, asks Mamata STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE KOLKATA, 30 JULY Expressing concern over the exclusion of 40 lakh names in the final National Register of Citizens (NRC) draft, chief minister Mamata Banerjee today said the exercise had been turned into a vote-bank politics fraught with dangerous consequences. “Not only Muslims, Hindus have been targeted too. People with Bengali surnames are being targeted specifically. Is this a targeted isolation of Bengalis ? Some of these people are living for generations in Assam. Even some Biharis are being targeted,” she said. “A ‘Bangali-khedao’ movement is going in Assam. Where will the 40 lakh people go ? Why didn’t the Centre call us for a meeting ? Did they not know the ramifications ? Did they not know Bengal will be affected ? Now they are asking us to take care. I urge the Union home minister to save these people. They are human beings. Do not play with fire,” she said. “Bengal shares a border with Assam. Our state will have to bear the brunt. These people are not Rohingyas. They are very much citizens of India, she said. It is a total divisive policy. This is a gameplan to play politics of division. This is a destructive policy. Citizens of this country have become refugees in their own country, thanks to Assam and Central Government,” the chief minister said. Miss Banerjee alleged the ruling BJP at the Cen- tre was trying to identify and isolate people who don't vote for the party. She claimed even names of some people who have valid passports, Aadhaar and voter cards have been excluded from the final draft. Accusing the Centre of trying to forcibly evict 40 lakh people, she said, “It is a matter of grave concern. Internet service has been snapped. We cannot contact people in Assam.” Asked whether West Bengal would give shelter to those whose names have not appeared in the final NRC draft, she said, “They have their homes...they are inhabitants of Assam. We will think about it if they want to come. But why should they be evicted?” The CM, who left for Delhi, said she would seek an appointment with Union home minister Rajnath Singh to discuss the issue. “I am sending a team of party MPs to Assam and if necessary, I will go there too,” she said. Miss Banerjee said: “I have full respect for the judiciary. Why did the Government of India remain silent about giving protection to these people. Why did they not bring any Bill in Parliament ? Unnecessary provocations are being made for electoral DELHI GOVT YET TO HONOUR CWG STAR MANIKA BATRA process”. Miss Banerjee said when Trinamul Congress MPs protested in Rajya Sabha the home minister said there is no reason to panic. “Why then, did they send 15 companies of force to Assam? Why are all modes of communication suspended?” she questioned. “We are sending a team of MPs to Assam soon. I might go myself. This is a humanitarian crisis, not just a law and order problem. Bengal is with these people.We will stand in solidarity with them. This is a deliberate attempt to isolate them,” she said. Miss Banerjee said that the situation would not have arisen had Centre not indulged in divide and rule, electoral politics. “This is totally a votebank agenda. Why should I talk to the CM of Assam? Did they consult us before taking this step?” she added. Meanwhile, stepping up efforts to forge a nonBJP front,TMC chief Mamata Banerjee is likely to meet Congress leader Sonia Gandhi to invite her for a planned 'federal-front' rally in Kolkata on January 19. Banerjee is likely to meet CPP chairperson Sonia Gandhi, RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav and other opposition leaders during her three-day visit to the national capital, according to TMC sources, Banerjee, who was earlier seen as wary of involving the Congress in any federal coalition to take on the BJP has in recent weeks , appeared to be more open to joining hands with the national party to consolidate the Opposition forces. P15 SILVER 38,250.00 -100.00 BRENT CRUDE (IN $) 75.09 +0.80 4 m left out of draft NRC, Opp targets BJP Final NRC list by 31 Dec; process of claims, objections to start from 30 Aug SNS & PTI GUWAHATI/NEW DELHI, 30 JULY A massive Supreme Court-monitored exercise to identify genuine Indian nationals living in Assam today excluded over 40 lakh people from the final draft list, triggering a political slugfest with the Opposition alleging that it was the BJP's “gameplan” to divide the people for electoral gains. The issue rocked both Houses of Parliament after which Home Minister Rajnath Singh appealed to the Opposition not to politicise the “sensitive” matter as the list has been published on the directives of the Supreme Court and the Centre has “no role” in it. He asserted that no “coercive” action will be taken against those whose names were excluded from the National Register of Citizens (NRC) draft list. The ruling BJP in Assam had raised the issue of foreign nationals in Assam during the 2016 Assembly polls, promising an errorfree NRC. At a press conference in Guwahati, Registrar General of India Sailesh announced that 2.89 crore people were found to be eligible for inclusion in the complete draft of the ambitious draft National Register of Citizens (NRC) out of a total 3.29 crore applicants. Around 40.07 lakh applicants, however, did not find a place in the document, casting a shadow over their fate. Notwithstanding the criticism, Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said it was a historic day for the state, which will abide by all the directions of the apex court. Assam Pradesh Congress president Ripun Bora alleged it was a “motivated” action under the BJP which was trying to play “politics of polarisation”. AIUDF president Badruddin Ajmal appeared to take a cautious approach, saying everyone should wait for the final list. However, he said, exclusion of 40 lakh people was “not a small matter” and his party would assist the people to ensure that no genuine person is left out. Welcoming the development, former Assam chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, who had spearheaded the six-yearlong Assam agitation against foreigners and was a signatory to the historic Assam Accord, told PTI that the central government “must deport people who have come after March 24, 1971 to their original country”. Assam, which has witnessed an influx of people from neighbouring Bangladesh since the early 20th century, is the only state having an NRC, which was first prepared in 1951. The current NRC is being updated with March 24, 1971 as the cutoff date to include names of genuine Indian citizens. Asked about the reasons for excluding names of around 40 lakh applicants, NRC State Coordinator Prateek Hajela, who was also present at the press meet, said, “We are not going to make the reasons public. It will be informed individually. They can find the reasons by visiting NRC Sewa Kendras (NSK).” There are also names which were included in the first draft but have been deleted from the complete one. When inquired if any person, who appeared in the complete draft, could be excluded from the final list once the process of claims and objections were over, the RGI replied in the affirmative. Later in the evening, the Union Home Ministry announced that the final NRC list will be published by December 31, 2018. The Opposition, especially the TMC, the Congress, the Samajwadi Party and Left parties strongly raised the issue in Parliament, disrupting proceedings. The process of claims and objections to the draft NRC in Assam will start from August 30 and continue for a month, a senior Home Ministry official said.The process if required can be also extended by another month, he said. The process of claims and objections to the NRC will start on August 30 and the date was fixed taking into consideration that those whose names are not part of the draft NRC can gather documents in the next one month and prepare to approach NRC authorities, the official said. The window of claims and objections will be from August 30 to September 30 and if required NRC authorities may extend the period by another month -- till October 30, he said. The Congress today questioned the non-inclusion of over 40 lakh people in the complete draft of the NRC, saying revision of voters list in the '90s had shown only 3.5 lakh 'Doubtful' or 'D voters', and alleged it was a “motivated” action. SEE ALSO PAGE 6 SC summons CBI chief, charge sheets filed in Manipur fake encounter cases India asks Antigua to bar Choksi’s movement PRESS TRUST OF INDIA STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE NEW DELHI, 30 JULY Court left it to the CBI director and SIT in-charge to take a call on whether those chargesheeted for the offence of murder in the encounter cases need to be arrested NEW DELHI, 30 JULY The CBI Director today told the Supreme Court that two charge sheets have been filed in cases of alleged Manipur fake encounters by the Army, Assam Rifles and state police, and five more final reports will be filed in separate cases by August 31. CBI director Alok Kumar Verma had been summoned by the apex court which was unhappy over the“unduly long time” taken by the agency in probing the cases of alleged extra-judicial killings and fake encounters in Manipur. A bench of justices M B Lokur and U U Lalit was told by the agency's director that 14 persons have been charge sheeted for the alleged offences of murder, criminal conspiracy and destruction of evidence related to Manipur encounter cases. The agency also told the court that by August 31, five more final reports will be filed in separate encounter cases of Manipur and that probe in 20 more Manipur encounter cases will be completed by December end. The court, however, left it to the CBI director and SIT in-charge to take a call on whether those charge sheeted for the offence of murder in the encounter cases in Manipur need to be arrested or not. The court then posted the matter for further hearing on August 20. Terming the SIT probe as “snakes and ladders”, the top court had earlier expressed dissatisfaction over the progress made so far and said it would like to know from the CBI Director what steps must be taken to ensure that the investigation into the cases are completed early and final reports filed “as expeditiously as possible”. The court, which is hearing a PIL seeking a probe into as many as 1,528 cases of alleged extra-judicial killings in Manipur, had on July 14 last year constituted the SIT and ordered lodging of FIRs and probe into them. Amid reports of Mehul Choksi’s presence in Antigua and Barbuda, India on Monday said it has asked the authorities there not to allow the fugitive diamond trader to travel by air, land or sea. "As soon as the Ministry of External Affairs received information of the likely presence of Mehul Choksi in Antigua, the High Commission in Georgetown alerted the Antigua and Barbuda government, in writing and verbally, to confirm his presence in their territory and detain him and prevent his movement by land, air or sea," official sources said. Sources said the Indian High Commissioner in the Caribbean island would meet the relevant authorities and take up the issue with them again. ‘’We continue to liaise with relevant Government of India agencies and the Government of Antigua and Barbuda to follow up on this matter,’’ the sources added. Choksi had fled India in the first week of January and taken an oath of allegiance as a citizen of Antigua on 15 January. Days later on 29 January, the CBI filed a case and started investigating Choksi and his nephew, celebrity jeweller Nirav Modi, over a Rs13,500 crore fraud that involved fake guarantees in the name of Punjab National Bank to facilitate overseas loans. India cancelled the passports of both Choksi and Nirav Modi in February. Choksi has refused to return to India, saying he fears "mob lynching". Last week, Choksi claimed he had taken Antiguan citizenship to expand his business as the passport of the Caribbean nation provides visa-free travel to 132 countries. Kolkata connection of Pritchard’s kin GULU EZEKIEL Kolkata’s rich sporting heritage can be traced back to the 19th century and it was Norman Gilbert Pritchard, born in the city on 23 June 1875 who as per the official International Olympic Committee records was the first Indian to compete in the Olympics. Pritchard won silver in the 200 metres and 200 metres hurdles at the 1900 Paris Olympics. He later became a star of the stage in England and the silent screen in Hollywood (taking on the name Norman Trevor) where he died in 1929. Now after nearly four decades of research this writer has managed to track down Pritchard’s descendants in England - and there is a strong connect to both Kolkata and cricket. Gilbert Norman Pritchard Cann is the grand nephew of Norman Pritchard and lives in Middlesex. Gilbert’s father Trevor Pritchard Cann was the son of one of Norman’s two sisters, Selena Francis and was born in (then) Calcutta in 1902. Trevor, who both studied and taught at St. Xavier’s, Calcutta moved with his family to England in 1961 and died in 1964. Gilbert (born in Calcutta on 10 January 1945) fondly recounted his schooldays in North Point, Darjeeling and then St. Xavier’s where his famous grand-uncle Norman Pritchard also studied in the 1890s. Gilbert, now a retired government official was amazed when told this writer had Gilbert Cann in his cricket kit in Calcutta in the 1950s. Photo courtesy Gilbert Cann. Pritchard in his Hollywood days. Photo credit: Gulu Ezekiel collection. Gilbert as he is now, photographed in his backyard in Middlesex by wife Wanda. traced his brief moment of glory for East Zone in the CoochBehar Trophy national schools tournament in the 1959-60 season. East were narrowly beaten by 17 runs in the final by South in the final at Poona (now Pune), “a match we really should have won” recalled Gilbert with a tinge of regret even after nearly 60 years. But it was in the semifinal, also at Poona in January 1960 that Gilbert saw his side to victory against West by just two wickets in the very last minute of play. West, who had a vital first innings lead of 12 runs resorted to time wasting tactics with East, chasing 224 runs in 230 minutes for victory on the final day. The erstwhile Indian Cricket Field Annual 1959-60 edition has a detailed match report. “This dramatic success which ended West Zone’s seven-year monopoly over the championship was made possible by a 15-year-old Calcutta-born Australian Gilbert Cann, who scored a mercurial 51 not out. His side required 84 runs for victory when Cann entered at number six and he put the versatile West Zone attack to the sword in no uncertain manner. Cann was chaired back to the pavilion by his jubilant team-mates, and the spectators, forgetting partisan interests cheered every stroke by the little Cann as he steered his side to a sensational victory. For a long time after the match ended, the entire Deccan Gymkhana vicinity echoed with cheers for young Cann.” Former Bengal and East Zone captain Raju Mukherjee (who in 2002 made the breakthrough discovery that Pritchard's Hollywood screen name was Norman Trevor) remembers his school friend ‘Gilly’: “He was an exceptional athlete and very good fielder in the deep. Maybe something to do with his genes. Apart from being a very good athlete, he was primarily a pace bowler, a hard-hitting batsman and a brilliant fielder in the deep.” Though he has never been back to India, he hopes to do so in the near future. Born in Elgin Nursing Home, Gilbert lived with his family at Belvedere House at No. 6 Chowringhee Lane and still recalls the various tram routes in the city. Gilbert also has a request which he asked me to pass on to the sports loving people of Kolkata. He has for many years in vain been trying to get a copy of his birth certificate which he lost. Can anyone help please? (A version of this article was earlier published at bbc.co.uk) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ world-asia-india-44722759 The writer is an independent Delhibased sports journalist and writer. He is the co-author of Great Indian Olympians and a number of other sports books.
The Statesman is one of India's oldest English newspapers. It was founded in Kolkata in 1875 and is directly descended from The Friend of India (founded 1818). The Englishman (founded 1821) was merged with The Statesman in 1934. The Delhi edition of The Statesman began publication in 1931. The Statesman Weekly is a compendium of news and views from the Kolkata and Delhi editions. Printed on airmail paper, it is popular with readers outside India. The Statesman (average weekday circulation approximately 180,000) is a leading English newspaper in West Bengal. The Sunday Statesman has a circulation of 230,000.