MONDAY www.thestatesman.com 31 OCTOBER 2022 FIND US ONLINE Scan this with your smartphone twitter.com/TheStatesmanLtd facebook.com/thestatesman1875 Pages 12 |` 5.00|LC KOLKATA | NEW DELHI | SILIGURI | BHUBANESWAR RBI GOVERNOR URGES OMBUDSMAN TO BE SENSITIVE AN ENGLISH RISHI P6 WEATHER MAINLY CLEAR SKY. MIST IN THE MORNING. THE MAXIMUM AND MINIMUM TEMPERATURES WOULD BE AROUND 31 AND 15 DEGREES CELSIUS. RAINFALL: NIL RELATIVE HUMIDITY P8 P9 ‘Over 60 killed in Morbi cable bridge collapse’ Min. 44% Max: 30.8°C (0) SUN RISES 06:33 hrs MOON RISES 13:27 hrs Min: 15.0°C (-1) SUN SETS 17:37 hrs MOON SETS 23:00 hrs SNS& AGENCIES NEW DELHI, 30 OCTOBER O THUMBNAILS BSF personnel take out a bike rally as part of National Unity Day celebrations under the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, in Udhampur on Sunday. ANI 4 dead as petrol tanker catches fire after accident in Mizoram: At least four people including a woman were killed and 18 are injured after an oil tanker exploded in Mizoram's Aizawl district, police said on Sunday.Aizawl District Superintendent of Police C. Lalruaia said that a Champhaibound oil tanker carrying over 20,000 litres of petrol met with an accident on Saturday night near the Tuirial airfield and caught fire. Local people including the victims were trying to collect the petrol leaking from the oil tanker immediately after the accident. ‘The Wire' files police complaint against its ex-conc sultant: Delhi Police have received a complaint from the news website 'The Wire' against its former consultant Devesh Kumar in connection with its fabricated story related to BJP IT cell chief Amit Malviya. "The complaint was filed by the news website late Saturday evening through PG2 email," said a senior police official. ver 60 persons have lost their lives in the Morbi cable bridge collapse incident that took place in Gujarat on Sunday evening, state Panchayat Minister Brijesh Merja, who is present at the incident spot, said. “More than 60 people have died. 17 people are admitted to the hospital at the moment. The Chief Minister is coming. The incident took place at around 6.40 pm," minister Merja said. It was earlier reported that 35 persons had lost their lives in the unfortunate incident, the death toll has risen to over 60 so far. BJP MP from Rajkot, Mohanbhai Kalyanji Kundariya said that the NDRF is conducting the rescue operation.“More than 60 bodies were recovered, of which more are of children, women & elderly. Rest have been rescued; NDRF rescue op is underway. We're taking this matter very seriously, it's very saddening," he said. "Machinery present at the spot to pump out the water so that we can figure out the bodies underneath, as there's a lot of silt. I believe the bridge got overloaded and that led to the incident. Many teams engaged in rescue, CM to arrive shortly, " he added. The eyewitnesses Amit Patel & Sukram present on the spot said that the incident People climbing down the cable bridge that collapsed in the Machchhu river, in Morbi on Sunday. ANI might have taken place because of the huge crowd at the bridge. "Many people came here in view of the Diwali holidays and weekend; it's a touristfriendly place. The incident occurred probably because of the huge crowd at the bridge. When it collapsed, people fell over each other," they said. Soon after the incident, State home minister Harsh Sanghavi informed that the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has been instructed to reach the spot. "It's a sad and unfortunate incident. Around 6:30 pm, the bridge in Morbi carrying 150 people collapsed. In just 15 mins, fire brigade, collector, district SP, doctors, and ambulance reached the spot... I'll be reaching the spot too. The official death toll in the matter is seven,” Sanghavi said. The minister informed that most of the people have been rescued.“We have been able to rescue most of the people there... we are receiving all kinds of help from the Centre. NDRF and other agencies have been instructed to reach the spot. Most people injured due to the collapse have been admitted to the hospital," he said. Meanwhile, NDRF DG Atul Karwal said that three teams have already been dispatched to assist in the rescue operations.Chief minister Bhupendra Patel said that he is cancelling all his events today and leaving for Morbi where the incident took place. “I am leaving for Morbi by cancelling all my upcoming events today. Direct monitoring of the situation and necessary coordination will be achieved by reaching the site in person,” he tweeted. Earlier, the Prime Minister's Office said that PM Modi has asked for close monitoring of the situation and delivery of all possible help to the affected persons Chief minister Bhupender Patel said instructions have been given to the officials to arrange immediate treatment for the injured. “I am deeply saddened by the tragedy of suspension bridge collapse in Morbi. Relief and rescue operations are ongoing by the system. The system has been instructed to arrange immediate treatment for the injured. I am in constant contact with the district administration in this regard,” he said. The injured persons would be given an amount of Rs 50,000, as per the Prime Minister's Office. “PM @narendramodi has announced an ex-gratia of Rs. 2 lakh from PMNRF for the next of kin of each of those who lost their lives in the mishap in Morbi. The injured would be given Rs. 50,000,” PMO tweeted.“I express my condolences to the families of the citizens who lost their lives in the tragedy. The state government will provide Rs 4 lakhs to the family of each deceased & Rs 50,000 to the injured,” Gujarat CM said in a tweet. Union home minister Amit Shah while expressing his grief on the incident, said the NDRF will reach the spot soon.Union Minister Dr Mansukh Mandaviya prayed for the recovery of the injured ones in the accident. Even remotest areas set to be ‘Delhi brokers’ tried digitally connected, says Modi to buy Telangana STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE NEW DELHI, 30 OCTOBER Prime Minister Narendra Modi today affirmed his government's resolve to digitally connect even the remotest areas with the rest of the nation, declaring that the recent placing of 36 satellites by India in space simultaneously have opened new opportunities for the country globally. The success achieved by India by launching 36 satellites in space just a day before Diwali digital connectivity would be further strengthened from Kashmir to Kanyakumari and from Kucth to Kohima, he said in his monthly ''Mann ki Baat' programme. “I remember those old days, when India was denied Cryogenic Rocket Technology. But the scientists of India not only developed indigenous technology, but today with the help of it, dozens of satellites are being sent to space simultaneously. India has emerged as a strong player in the global commercial market,'' Modi said. The country, he said, was doing wonders in the solar sector as well as the space sector. The whole world, today, was surprised to see the achievements of India. Wishing everyone on the occasion of ''Chhath Puja'', the PM said the tradition of worshipping the Sun God was proof of how deep India's culture, its faith, was related to nature. Sun God has also been the focus of the way of life of India. Today, India was combining its traditional experiences with modern science. Hence, India has become one of the largest countries to generate electricity from solar energy. How solar energy was changing the lives of the poor and middle class of our country is also a subject of study, he added. The PM said the country, which was moving with the resolve of a developed India, could achieve its goals only with the efforts of everyone. Earlier in India, the space sector was confined within the purview of government systems. Eversince, the space sector was opened for India’s youth, revolutionary changes have started coming in it. Indian industries and start-ups were engaged in bringing new innovations and new technologies in this field. In particular, the collaboration of IN-SPACe was going to make a big difference in this area, he noted. Non-government companies were also getting the facility to launch their payloads and satellites through IN-SPACe, Modi said and urged more and more Start-ups and Innovators to take full advantage of these huge opportunities being created in India in the space sector. “When it comes to students, youth power, leadership power, so many outdated stereotypes have become ingrained in our mind. Many times we see that when student power is referred to, its scope is limited by linking it with the student union elections,” he lamented. The PM said the scope of student power was very big, very vast. Student power was the basis of making India powerful. “The way our youth solve problems in hackathons, stay awake all night and work for hours, is very inspiring. A hackathon held in recent years, with lakhs of youth of the country, together have solved many challenges; have given new solutions to the country,'' he noted. Modi observed that sensitivity towards the environment was embedded in every particle of Indian society. There was no dearth of people in the country who spend a lifetime in the protection of the environment. “Today more awareness is being seen among people about Ecofriendly living and Eco-friendly products than ever before,” he said. self-respect: KCR STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE HYDERABAD, 30 OCTOBER Seeking a probe into the case of poaching attempt on TRS MLAs Telangana chief minister K Chandrasekhar Rao today attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi asking him why he was going around toppling governments when he has already got two terms at the highest post. The chief minister while addressing a poll rally in Munugode where a bypoll is slated to be held on 3 November paraded the four MLAson stage and appreciated them for refusing to be sold by the crores of rupees offered to them by the “brokers” from Delhi. This is the first time the TRS chief spoke on the poaching row since 26 October night when the police raided the farmhouse at Moinabad and arrested the three accused. The accused have been remanded to 14 days of judicial custody after they were rearrested following High Court’s order. The chief minister wondered who gave the mediators hundreds of crores to poach the MLAs and said there must be a thorough probe. He added those behind India aced by South Africa pace S S RAMASWAMY PERTH, 30 OCTOBER India suffered their first defeat in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup when they were overpowered by a strong South African team by five wickets in a low-scoring match at the Perth Stadium here tonight. Rohit Sharma-led India were caught like deer in front of car headlights by the South Africa pace pack led by Lungi Ngidi and were stopped at 133 for 9 after skipper Rohit Shar- ROHIT SHARMA BECOMES HIGHEST-CAPPED PLAYER IN TOURNAMENT HISTORY P12 FERVENT PRAYER PM Modi announces ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh for next of kin those killed Max.96% TEMPERATURE BIDEN FACES ‘UNPREDICTABLE’ ERA WITH CHINA’S EMPOWERED XI ma opted to bat first. Barring Suryakumar Yadav, who struck a brilliant 68 off 40 balls, none of the Indian batters could cope with the spicy South African pace attack in which Ngidi was outstanding on a helpful track and in cold conditions with splendid figures of 4 for 29. In the run chase, South Africa was rocked by a twin strike by left-arm pacer Arshdeep Singh but then recovered brilliantly to post 137 for five in 19.4 overs and clinch the game. From a shaky 24 for 3, South Africa were piloted home by number four Aiden Markram (52) and number five David Miller who remained unconquered on a breezy 59 off 46 balls in which he lashed 3 sixes and four fours. Earlier, 26-year-old tall paceman Ngidi tore the heart out of the Indian innings with an incisive first spell of 3 overs in which he packed off both openers K L Rahul (9) and Rohit Sharma (15), along with in-form Virat Kohli (12) and Hardik Pandya (2) at the cost of just 17 runs. Ngidi, who was expensive and returned figures of 0-49 and 2-51 in his previous two T20 Internationals against hosts India in the first week of this month, exploited the pace and bounce on the pitch to the hilt.Surya, who came in at 26 for 2 after 5 overs, didn’t allow the mayhem at the other end from curbing his instincts as he timed the ball sweetly after a lucky edged four early on. He struck three sixes, one this should not continue in power.“With me four MLA have come from Hyderabad to Munugode. These are my four MLAs who refused the crores of rupees of Delhi brokers who conspired to poach against our government.” Although the BJP has denied any links with poaching case Mr Rao wondered: “I am asking Modi why this cruelty? How much more power do you want? You have already been elected twice, then why are you toppling governments? Did senior leaders of the RSS who are currently in the Chanchalguda jail indulge in this act without the Prime Minister’s support? He even took a jibe at the Prime Minister saying that the Vishwaguru was actually “Vishguru” and urged the voters of Munugode to consider before exercising their vote. “When we vote we must vote carefully. We cannot get bribed, cheated by such politics,” he said. each off Nortje, Ngidi and leftarm spinner Keshav Maharaj, and six fours. His flat-batted straight swat for four off Kagiso Rabada was among the picks of his shots apart from a straight drive that oozed class. Ngidi, whose career-best had come in July this year against England when he returned figures of 5 for 39 at Bristol, finished with 4 for 29 while Parnell also impressed in his haul of 3 for 15. South Africa lost Quinton de Kock and Rilee Rossouw in the second over bowled by Arshdeep and then out-ofsorts skipper Temba Bhavu- Devotees offer prayers to the setting Sun during Chhath Puja at Sun temple, in Jamshedpur on Sunday. ANI South Korea in shock and grieving after 153 die in Halloween crowd surge ASSOCIATED PRESS SEOUL, 30 OCTOBER Concerned relatives raced to hospitals in search of their loved ones Sunday as South Korea mourned the deaths of more than 150 people, mostly in their 20s and 30s, who got trapped and crushed after a huge Halloween party crowd surged into a narrow alley in a nightlife district in Seoul. Witnesses said the crowd surge Saturday night in the Itaewon area caused “a hell-like” chaos as people fell on each other “like dominoes.” Some people were bleeding from their noses and mouths while being given CPR, witnesses said, while others clad in Halloween costumes continued to sing and dance nearby, possibly without knowing the severity of the situation. “I still can’t believe what has happened. It was like a hell,” said Kim Mi Sung, an official at a nonprofit organization that promotes tourism in Itaewon. Kim said she performed CPR on 10 people who were unconscious and nine of them were declared dead on the spot. Kim said the 10 were mostly women wearing witch outfits and other Halloween costumes.The crowd surge is the country’s worst disaster in years. As of Sunday evening, officials put the death toll at 153 and the number of injured people at 133. The Ministry of the Interior and Safety said the death count could further rise as 37 of the injured people were in serious conditions. Ninety-seven of the dead were women and 56 were men. More than 80% of the dead are in their 20s and 30s, but at least four were teenagers.At least 20 of the dead are foreigners from China, Russia, Iran ma in the sixth over before they were rallied by Markram and Miller with a splendid partnership. Miller remained unconquered till the end and also hit the winning stroke.India were also a bit sloppy in the field and their best fielder Kohli even dropped a catch at deep mid wicket off Markram. One run out chance to send back Miller was also missed by Rohit. Earlier at the same stadium, Pakistan defeated Netherlands by six wickets with 37 runs to spare in Group2. HEARTBREAKING TRAGEDY A woman places a bouquet of flowers to pay tribute for victims near the scene of a deadly accident in Seoul on Sunday. AP Seoul and nearby Gyeonggi province The Ministry of the Interior and Safety said the death count could further rise as 37 of the injured people were in serious conditions. South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol the country’s worst disaster in years The bodies of the dead were being kept at 42 hospitals in An estimated 100,000 people had gathered in Itaewon for the country’s biggest outdoor Halloween festivities since the pandemic began. and elsewhere. There is one American among the dead, the Interior Ministry said in a release. An estimated 100,000 people had gathered in Itaewon for the country’s biggest outdoor Halloween festivities since the pandemic began. The South Korean government had eased Covid restrictions in recent months. Witnesses said the streets were so densely clogged with people and slow-moving vehicles that it was practically impossible for emergency workers and ambulances to reach the alley near Hamilton Hotel swiftly. Authorities said thousands of people have called or visited a nearby city office, reporting missing relatives and asking officials to confirm whether they were among those injured or dead after the crush.The bodies of the dead were being kept at 42 hospitals in Seoul and nearby Gyeonggi province, according to Seoul City, which said it will instruct crematories to burn more bodies per day as part of plans to support funeral proceedings.Around 100 businesses in the Hamilton Hotel area have agreed to shut down their shops through Monday to reduce the number of partygoers who would come to the streets through Halloween day. South Korea President declared a oneweek national mourning period on Sunday and ordered flags at government buildings and public offices to fly at half-staff. He also called for officials to investigate the cause of the accident and review the safety of other large cultural and entertainment events to ensure they proceed safely. The crowd surge is FACT FILE TOTAL CASES 4,46,52,266 ACTIVE CASES 18,317 NEW CASES 1,604 NEW RECOVERIES 2,081 TOTAL DEATHS 5,29,016 UNION HEALTH MINISTRY FIGURES AS OF 8.00 A.M. SUNDAY 30 OCTOBER 2022
The Statesman is one of India's oldest English newspapers. It was founded in Kolkata in 1875 and is directly descended from The Friend of India (founded 1818). The Englishman (founded 1821) was merged with The Statesman in 1934. The Delhi edition of The Statesman began publication in 1931. The Statesman Weekly is a compendium of news and views from the Kolkata and Delhi editions. Printed on airmail paper, it is popular with readers outside India. The Statesman (average weekday circulation approximately 180,000) is a leading English newspaper in West Bengal. The Sunday Statesman has a circulation of 230,000.