www.thestatesman.com India’s National Newspaper since 1818 | Pages 16 | | FOLLOW US: ` 5.00 | @TheStatesmanLtd KOLKATA 8th Day What is a ‘Ghost Eye’? Amitav Ghosh on his new novel | @thestatesmanltd NEW DELHI People’s Parliament, Always in Session @thestatesman1875 | MUMBAI | BHUBANESWAR | LUCKNOW Evolve | SILIGURI | 22, February 2026 S P O RT S Together through thick & thin Batting concerns loom as India face South Africa in high-stakes Super Eight clash Page 16 India, Brazil target $20 billion Trump hikes global trade, to bolster supply chain tariffs from 10pc to 15pc a day after US SC order STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE New Delhi, 21 February Sri Lanka v England India v South Africa BRIEFLY Rain washes out NZ-Pak Super 8 clash: Colombo: Spectators were left frustrated as the much-anticipated Super 8 clash between New Zealand and Pakistan was abandoned without a ball being bowled due to persistent rain. Both teams were eager to get their campaigns underway in this crucial phase of the tournament, but the weather had other plans. Although there was a brief window of hope for a shortened contest if conditions improved but as time passed, the rain grew heavier, further diminishing any realistic chance of action. I ndia and Brazil on Saturday set an ambitious target to raise bilateral trade beyond $20 billion over the next five years, as the two countries expanded cooperation across technology, defence, energy, critical minerals, agriculture and global governance reforms. Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the growing economic engagement reflects deep mutual trust between the two democracies. “We are committed to taking our bilateral trade beyond 20 billion dollars in the next five years. Our trade is not just a number; it is a reflection of trust,” he said, noting that Brazil remains India’s largest trading partner in Latin America. The announcements came during a joint press conference held in New Delhi after delegation-level talks between Prime Minister Modi and Brazilian President Lula da Silva. Welcoming the visiting leader, Modi said, “It gives me great pleasure to welcome President Lula and his delegation to India. The warmth and cordiality with which you welcomed me in Brazil last year, I reciprocate today with the same spirit here in India.” The two sides also pushed forward collaboration in emerging technologies, including Artificial Intelligence, supercomputing, semiconductors and blockchain. “Our collaboration in technology and innovation is significant not only for both countries but also for the entire Global South. I am happy that we are working to establish a Centre of Excellence in Brazil for Digital Public Infrastructure,” the Prime Minister said, underlining that technology “must be inclusive and must become a bridge for shared progress.” In a significant step towards supply chain resilience, India and Brazil signed an agreement on critical minerals and rare earths. Modi described it as “a major step towards building resilient supply chains.” Defence ties, he added, continue to grow, reflecting “mutual trust and strategic alignment,” with both sides determined to strengthen the “win-win partnership.” Energy cooperation featured prominently in the talks. Alongside hydrocarbons, the countries are expanding collaboration in renewable energy, ethanol blending and sustainable aviation fuel. Brazil’s active participation in the Global Bio-Fuel Alliance was cited as a sign of shared commitment to a green future. Brasília has also proposed co-chairing the Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI), a move welcomed by New Delhi. Agriculture, animal husbandry, and food security emerged as new pillars of engagement. The leaders discussed cooperation in climate-resilient agriculture, precision farming and bio-fertilisers, as well as plans to establish a Centre of Excellence in Brazil for oilseeds, pulses and integrated farming. In the health sector, India will work to increase supplies of affordable and quality medicines to Brazil, while also promoting Ayurveda and traditional medicine. Intel warns of possible LeT strike in Delhi; Chandni Chowk on high alert UNITED NEWS OF INDIA New Delhi, 21 February The national capital was placed on high alert on Saturday after intelligence inputs warned of a possible terror plot by Pakistan-based outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) targeting crowded religious and heritage locations in Delhi. Sources indicated that intelligence inputs indicate that a temple in the Chandni Chowk locality is among possible targets. Militants are also b elieved to b e considering the use of an improvised explosive device in other high-security areas, including locations in the vicinity of the Red Fort. In response to the alert, security has been significantly tightened across temples in the Chandni Chowk area, with paramilitary forces deployed to ensure continuous monitoring and heightened vigilance. The stepped-up measures come several months after a devastating car bomb explosion shook the Red Fort vicinity in November last year. The blast, caused by an explosives-packed Hyundai i20 near the Red Fort Metro Station, claimed at least 12 lives and left more than 20 people injured, besides torching several nearby vehicles. Investigators subsequently revealed that the device contained ammonium nitrate-based explosives. Authorities later identified the driver of the vehicle as Umar Mohammad, also known as Umar Un Nabi, a medical professional linked to Al-Falah University in Faridabad. Sources indicated that investigators are also examining whether LeT's move may have been motivated by the terror outfit’s desire to replicate a terror attack at a mosque in Islamabad by the Islamic State group, earlier this month. On February 6th, a suicide blast at the Imam Bargah Qasr- e -Khadijatul Kubra mosque in the Tarlai area of Islamabad left 32 people dead and more than 160 injured. Condemning the attack, India, through its Ministry of External Affairs, had issued a statement saying, “The bombing at an Islamabad Mosque is condemnable, and India condoles the loss of life it has caused. It is unfortunate that, instead of seriously addressing the problems plaguing its social fabric, Pakistan chooses to delude itself by blaming others for its homegrown ills. India rejects any and every such allegation, which is as baseless as it is pointless.” STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE New Delhi, 21 February US President Donald Trump on Saturday increased global tariffs from 10 per cent to 15 per cent, a day after suffering a major setback in the United States Supreme Court. Posting on Truth Social, Trump said that following a “thorough, detailed and complete review” of what he described as a “ridiculous, poorly written and extraordinarily anti-American” ruling on tariffs issued by the court, he had decided to act. He stated that, with immediate effect, the 10 per cent worldwide tariff on countries — which he claimed had been “ripping” the United States off for decades — would be raised to the “fully allowed and legally tested” level of 15 per cent. Trump added that over the next few months, his administration would determine and announce new tariffs that are legally permissible, saying the measures would further advance what he called the successful process of “Making America Great Again — greater than ever before”. Earlier, US President Donald Trump insisted that the India-US trade deal remains firmly on track and will not be affected by the Supreme Court’s ruling against his emergency tariffs, asserting that India will continue paying tariffs under the pact while the US will not. Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump h a d s a i d , " I t h i n k my relationship with India is fantastic, and we're doing trade with India. India pulled out of Russia. India was getting its oil from Russia. And they pulled way back at my request, because we want to settle that horrible war where 25,000 people are dying every month." Earlier this month, the US and India announced they had reached a framework for an interim trade agreement after Trump issued an executive order removing the 25 percent punitive tariffs imposed on India for Russian oil purchases and reducing reciprocal duties from 25 percent to 18 percent. Trump claimed that New Delhi committed to stop directly or indirectly importing energy from Moscow and instead purchase American energy products. When asked if the court ruling would affect the trade deal with India, Tr ump replied, "Nothing changes." "They'll be paying tariffs, and we will not be paying tariffs. So the deal with India is that they pay tariffs. This is a reversal of what it used to be, as you know, India and I think Prime Minister Modi is a great gentleman, a great man, actually, but he was much smarter than the people that he was against in terms of the United States, he was ripping us off. So we made a deal with India. It's a fair deal now, and we are not paying tariffs to them, and they are paying tariffs. We did a little flip," he added. Trump further clarified, "The India deal is on...all the deals are on, we're just going to do it" in a different way. Stressing that his bond with Prime Minister Narendra Mo di is “gre at ,” Tr ump reiterated that he had stopped the war between India and Pakistan last summer using tariffs. "I also stopped the war between India and Pakistan. As you know, there 10 planes were shot down. That war was going and probably going nuclear. And just yesterday, the Prime Minister of Pakistan said President Trump saved 35 million lives by getting them to stop," he said. "And I did it largely with tariffs. I said, 'Look, you're going to fight, that's fine, but you're not going to do business with the United States, and you’re going to pay a 200 per cent tariff, each country'. And they called up and they said, ‘we have made peace’," Trump added. Indian govt monitoring impact of US tariff ruling: The Ministry of Commerce and Industry said on Saturday that it is closely analysing US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs. In a communique released here on Saturday, the Ministry said, “We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday. President Trump has also addressed a press conference in that regard. Some steps have been announce d by the US Administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications.” ‘Cyber frauds a matter of concern, judiciary will leave no stone unturned in curbing threats’, assures CJI Surya Kant UNITED NEWS OF INDIA Jaipur, 21 February Chief Justice of India (CJI) Surya Kant has assured the nation that whatever role Judiciary can play in curbing and preventing cyber crimes -threats it would play to the best of its ability. "We will leave no stone unturned", he said in his address at the inaugural session of the three - day national conference on Cyber Safety here late Friday evening. The CJI said "cyber crime or threat is no more remained simply a cyber crime, it now is a loot, extortion and dacoity that has also evolved into mass phenomenon". Therefore, all stakeholders, including, police, judiciary, cyber experts, IT professionals, students, youths and even the public needed to work together in inclusive and coordinated way to mitigate the threat. Pointing at the seriousness of the situation, CJI Surya Kant said as many as 66 lakh complaint of cyber cheating, account hacking or other sorts of cyber loot/loss, involving amount of loot of around Rs 55,000 crore have been lodge in the country in the past 5 years. This mass criminal phenomenon has been engaging global attention, people from all walks - all strata falling victims, he said adding "Even I am also a victim, every alternative day a new fake site was being created in my name by fraudulent. On investigations it was revealed that those sites were created by criminals/ fraudsters in Nigeria. He said that legal institutions certainly have their role in addressing the cyber threats, however, mass awareness down to the grass roots level in the form of a moral education crusade would play the effective role. Such crusades or mass awareness drives should be spearheaded in local dialect of the people CJI SURYA KANT SAID AS MANY AS 66 LAKH COMPLAINT OF CYBER CHEATING, ACCOUNT HACKING OR OTHER SORTS OF CYBER LOOT/LOSS, INVOLVING AMOUNT OF LOOT OF AROUND RS 55,000 CRORE HAVE BEEN LODGE IN THE COUNTRY IN THE PAST 5 YEARS. and not in any imposed language (medium). Talk to people in local dialect to listen him or her and also explain them on suggestions - solutions in their local dialect.For maintaining cautious handling-alertness at individual level one can take cue from our old time preachings that used to teach one "pehle socho phir bolo (think well before uttering a word) and "pehle samajho phir karo" (grasp well before taking a move or action). The preachings are still relevant today, but, with little modification we have to follow "pehle socho phir click Karo"(think cautiously before clicking the mouse), the CJI advised. In his address Rajasthan Chief Minister Bhajan Lal Sharma announced for early opening of Special Cyber Courts for curbing cyber crimes. Sharma said "Whether a criminal commits crime on land or behind the screen of computer or phone, in Rajasthan, the state government would ensure that the culprit is slapped with duly stringent punishment". Acting Chief Justice or Rajasthan High Court Justice Sanjeev Prakash Sharma expressed gratitude to the Chief Minister Sharma for supporting the judiciary in strengthening the infrastructure and modernization of courts'. The Rajasthan High Court Judge Justice Pushpendra Singh Bhati has said "the cyber fraudsters in the world have raised a third largest but illegitimate economy of over USD 10 Trillion. The conference is being held under aegis of the Rajasthan State Legal ServicesAuthority. The seminar was attended by several Supreme Court judges, including Justices Rajesh Bindal, Ahsanuddin Amanullah, N. Kotiswar Singh, M.M. Sundresh, and P.S. Narasimha, along with High Court judges and district judiciary members. (File Photo)
The Statesman is one of India's oldest English newspapers. It was founded in Kolkata in 1875 and is directly descended from The Friend of India (founded 1818). The Englishman (founded 1821) was merged with The Statesman in 1934. The Delhi edition of The Statesman began publication in 1931. The Statesman Weekly is a compendium of news and views from the Kolkata and Delhi editions. Printed on airmail paper, it is popular with readers outside India. The Statesman (average weekday circulation approximately 180,000) is a leading English newspaper in West Bengal. The Sunday Statesman has a circulation of 230,000.