FRIDAY www.thestatesman.com 04 MAY 2018 FIND US ONLINE Scan this with your smartphone twitter.com/TheStatesmanLtd facebook.com/thestatesman1875 Pages 16 |`3|LC KOLKATA | NEW DELHI | SILIGURI | BHUBANESWAR P5 SENSEX 35,103.14 -73.28 P7 NIFTY 10,679.65 -38.40 ` vs $ 66.64 +2.00 PAISE Partly cloudy sky with possibility of development of thunder lightning. The maximum and minimum temperatures would be around 35 and 20 degrees Celsius respectively. RAINFALL: 14.4 MM RELATIVE HUMIDITY P12 GOLD 29,805.00 -40.00 P15 SILVER 39,400.00 +200.00 BRENT CRUDE (IN $) 73.04 -0.32 70 National Film Award recipients skip function SC/ST Act: Apex court rejects plea to stay its verdict SNS & PTI STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE Max.61% Min. 43% Max: 35.2°C (-2) SUN RISES 05:39 hrs MOON RISES 22.01 hrs Min: 19.8°C (-5) SUN SETS 18:57 hrs MOON SETS 08:49 hrs NEW DELHI, 3 MAY THUMBNAILS Chennai Super Kings captain MS Dhoni plays a shot during the 2018 Indian Premier League (IPL) Twenty20 cricket match against Kolkata Knight Riders at The Eden Gardens Cricket Sta(P16) dium in Kolkata on Thursday. AFP Trump confirms Daniels payment: US President Donald Trump confirmed that he reimbursed his personal lawyer the $130,000 the latter had given to adult film star Stormy Daniels days before the 2016 election to buy her silence over an alleged affair with the then presidential candidate. The President had previously denied knowledge of the payment, which has prompted complaints to the Justice Department and Federal Election Commission over potential violations of campaign P12 finance law. Kasauli killing accused nabbed: Vijay Singh, the accused behind the murder of a woman officer during a demolition drive in Kasauli on 1 May was on Thursday apprehended by a police team from Mathura in Uttar Pradesh. Singh is being brought to Solan, police said. The weapon used by him in the crime was, however, not recovered from him. Solan Police had formed several teams which were conducting raids in neighbouring states of Punjab, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh to nab the culprit over the last two P4 days. CBI arrests journalist: The CBI on Thursday arrested Delhi-based journalist Upendra Rai for allegedly indulging in dubious financial transactions and getting an airport access pass made by the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) by furnishing false information. Rai was questioned at the agency headquarters along with two others for the entire day before being arrested, officials said. Prasun Roy, chief security officer of Air One Aviation Pvt Ltd, was also booked by the Central Bureau of Investigation in the case, they said. E xpressing their “dejection,” over 70 National Film Awards recipients Thursday decided to stay away from the award distribution ceremony here as President Ram Nath Kovind gave away only 11 awards, breaking from a long-held tradition, with the rest being given by Minister for Information and Broadcasting Smriti Zubin Irani along with Minister of State Rajyavardhan Rathore. The award winners termed it a "breach of trust". Filmmakers and artistes from across the country have written a letter addressed to the Directorate of Film Festival, President's office and the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, saying they feel "dejected rather than honoured" for their work. It was on Wednesday that the awardees were informed that a large segment of the awards will not be presented by the President. They discussed the matter with Irani the same evening and were promised a reply. "In the circumstance of not receiving a response for our grievance, we are left with no option but to be absent from the ceremony.We do not intend to boycott the award, but are not attending the ceremony to convey our discontent and are awaiting a more just solution," the letter said. However, the President's office expressed surprise at the "11th hour protest", Some of the National Film Award winners, who decided not to attend the award cereAMARJEET SINGH mony, at Hotel Ashok in the Capital on Thursday. saying it was known that Mr Kovind attends all award functions for a maximum of one hour. "This has been the protocol since he took office. It was conveyed to Information and Broadcasting Ministry several weeks ago and the ministry knew this all along," said Ashok Malik, press secretary to the President.But the award winners said "it feels like a breach of trust when an institution/ceremony that abides by extreme protocol, fails to inform of such a vital aspect of the ceremony with prior notice. It seems unfortunate that 65 years of tradition are being overturned in a jiffy". However, several eminent personalities from the film word including Riddhi Sen, Divya Dutta, Rima Das, Pankaj Tripathi, K J Yesudas, Jayaraj and Bhani- ta Das were seen taking early seats at the ceremony.Yesudas was in fact a signatory to the letter as well as well-known Bengali film maker Kaushik Ganguly and actor Fahadh Faasil. Ganguly, Faasil and actor Parvathi were among those who did not attend the function. Ganguly who directed Nagarkirtan said: "The National Award is a matter of passion for many as it is the President's Award. Even the newspaper advertisement clearly mentions that 'Awards will be handed over by honourable President'." Ganguly pointed out that the National Awards are an "apolitical award". "When ministers get involved, the essence of this award no longer remains the same. Dreams have been shattered and many recipients have felt very much insulted," he said. "The President could not spare an hour or so for the deserving awardees of the nation.We haven't taken this change in a good light and have taken it as a disrespect," he added. The President gave away the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, Nargis Dutt Award for Feature Films on National Integration, Best Book on Cinema, Best Direction (non-feature film), Best Jasari Film, Best Male Playback Singer, Best Music Direction (songs and background music), Best Actress, Best Actor, Best Direction (feature film), Best Feature Film and Best Editing. Actor Riddhi, the Best Actor winner for the film Nagarkirtan, who received the honour from the President finds the decision for others unfair. "My award of SC flays Centre for not finalising CMB STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE NEW DELHI, 3 MAY The Supreme Court on Thursday took strong note of the Centre’s delay in framing the Cauvery management scheme to implement its verdict on river water sharing between four southern states, even as Tamil Nadu attacked the Centre for its “partisan” attitude saying this was the “end of cooperative federalism”. A bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra asked the Centre to file an affidavit by May 8 giving details of steps taken to frame the scheme, which was ordered for smooth release of water from Karnataka to Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry. “MrVenugopal (Attorney General), the scheme has to be finalised by the Centre and it should have been finalised by now. The states have no role in it,” the bench, also comprising Justices A M Khanwilkar and DY Chandrachud, said. Attorney General K K Venugopal said the hearing on setting up of the scheme, under which Cauvery Management Board (CMB) has be constituted, be deferred by ten days till the Karnataka polls are over as the Prime Minister and his cabinet colleagues are busy campaigning. He also said the draft scheme, which has to be cleared by the Union Cabinet, could not be put for approval due to the ongoing campaign. He also referred to the recent communication of the Karnataka chief minister that the water resources ministers of all four states be made members of the CMB, has created an issue which also needed to be resolved. Senior advocate Shekhar Naphade, appearing forTamil Nadu said“this is the end of cooperative federalism and the rule of law in the country.This is the partisan attitude of the union of India to favour Karnataka.” “I am saying this with full sense of responsibility that the Centre is playing politics and is more worried about its poll prospects in Karnataka than following the apex court order,” Naphade said, adding that the judg- ment had said that the scheme had to be framed within four weeks and this was nothing but “dilly dallying”. The court, meanwhile, warned the Karnataka government and asked it to establish its bonafide by releasing water and said it may take suo motu cognisance of contempt and seek the presence of state's chief secretary before it. During the hearing, the court first asked Karnataka to release 4 tmcft water by May 8, then asked it to release 2 tmcft water and at the end, ordered it to apprise the bench “as to how much water can be released”. The courtassuredTamilNaduthat the Cauvery water would be released as per its verdict. 530 journalists killed globally in 2012-2016 2 PRESS TRUST OF INDIA The number of killings was 67.72 per cent higher than the 316 recorded during the previous five-year period from 2007 to 2011-end NEW DELHI, 3 MAY The number of journalists killed all over the world has seen a sharp rise in five years, with 530 such deaths ~ 18 of them in India ~ being reported from 2012 to 2016end, a UNESCO report released on Thursday said. The report on World Trends in Freedom of Expression and Media Development Global Report 2017/2018' said the number of killings was 67.72 per cent higher than the 316 recorded during the previous fiveyear periodfrom 2007 to 2011end. Syria, with 86, recorded the highest number of killings, followed by Iraq (46) , Mexico (37), Somalia (36), Pakistan ( 30), Brazil (29), the Philippines and Yemen (21 each), Afghanistan (20), Honduras (19), India (18), Libya (17) and Guatemala (14). Ten journalists were killed in LIVERPOOL ENTER CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL Recipients upset over the President giving away only 11 awards in break with tradition WEATHER TEMPERATURE NO RENEGOTIATION OF IRAN NUCLEAR DEAL: TEHERAN SUSHMA TO FOCUS ON ROHINGYA ISSUE IN MYANMAR TRIP NO QUESTION OF JINNAH PRAISE IN AMU: ADITYANATH Bangladesh, 10 in Ukraine, eight in France and six each in Paraguay and Turkey. The year 2012 proved to be the deadliest year on record, with 124 journalists killed,” said the report, released on the occasion of World Press Freedom Day, which is marked today. Although the number of journalists killed every year has seen a slight decline since 2012, the figures are still alarmingly high, the report said. With a number of Member States that have experienced periods of violent conflict, the Arab region remains the most dangerous for journalists, with 191 journalists killed between 2012 and 2016, including a significant peak of 50 deaths in 2012, it said. Despite registering a decline in the following years, the overall the region represents 36 per cent of all cases. Latin America and the Caribbean saw an increase in the number of journalists killed during the period, with 125 killings overall and a peak of 28 in 2016. This trend can be largely attributed to organised crime, drug trafficking and corruption, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization report said. After a steep decline prior to 2014, the killings sharply rose across Asia and the Pacific region, with a total of 107 killings, and a high of 27 in 2016. Comparatively, Africa, with 73 deaths, has seen a distinct decline in the killings of journalists over the last five years, down from 26 in 2012 to seven in 2016. Killings throughout Central and Eastern Europe have fluctuated over the past five years, presenting no clear trend but remaining relatively low, the report said. As many as 17 journalist were killed in the region. A generally low-risk region for lethal violence against journalists, Western Europe and North America (17 killings) have seen uncharacteristically high killings in the past three years largely due to violent extremism, it added. Of the total 530 killings in 2012-2016, as many as 166 were TV journalists, 142 print, 118 radio, 75 online and 29 crossplatform. Best Actor will be handed over by the President because it is coming under those 11 categories. There is no doubt about the fact that what is happening is wrong. This is discrimination and this is absolutely unfair." Riddhi, 19, said "this has never happened in the history of the National Awards and is hence very shocking".The award winners had suggested that speeches and other frills be edited from the ceremony so that the President can accommodate more of them. "We as filmmakers and artists put in all that we have and tenaciously stick to our dreams in a field of work where appreciation does not come easily.We are disheartened to know that we will be deprived of the honour of this appreciation of a once in a lifetime moment of pride and glory that the National Film Awards had promised us," they wrote.The artistes ~ many arrived on Wednesday for the rehearsal of the presentation ceremony at the Vigyan Bhawan ~ also alleged "breach of trust" as they say they learnt about the big change only at a day's notice. Newton producer Manish Mundra, whose film has won the National Award for best Hindi film, tweeted: "The whole inherent and intrinsic value of #NationalFilmAwards is due to the fact that it's being given away by (the President). Otherwise it's just one amongst the other many film awards mushrooming across the country! #NationalFilmAwards," he tweeted. NEW DELHI, 3 MAY Rejecting the Centre's plea for a stay on its controversial 20 March judgment on the Scheduled Castes / Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act 1989, the Supreme Court Thursday said it supports "100 per cent" protection of the rights of these communities and favours punishment for those committing atrocities against them. The apex court Bench of Justices A K Goel and U U Lalit was hearing review petitions filed by the Centre and some states against its 20 March verdict which has been widely criticised by various quarters ~ ranging from governments to the Opposition and political parties, to civil society groups and human rights bodies ~ for "diluting" the landmark SC/ST law. They have maintained that this verdict has sparked a "feeling of insecurity and fear among Dalits and tribals" across the country. In its 20 March judgment, the Bench had noted "instances of abuse" of the SC/ST Act by "vested interests" for political or personal reasons, stipulating stringent safeguards under this law, such as provisions for anticipatory bail, a "preliminary enquiry" by police before registering a case and prior sanction before arrest. The top court today strongly disagreed with the Centre's contention that its verdict had led to 27 charred to death in Bihar bus crash loss of lives in widespread violence that had swept through several states on 2 April during a "Bharat Bandh" on the issue. The Centre told the Bench that its judgment countermanded the law enacted by the legislature and should thus be stayed and the case referred to a larger Bench. However, the Bench refused to stay the verdict, saying various aspects and earlier judgements of the apex court were considered before arriving at its conclusion. "It's not that the judgment says there shall be no registration of crime. It's not that accused shall not be arrested. The safeguards were for the purpose that a person should not be readily arrested or an innocent punished because there was no provision of anticipatory bail under the SC/ST Act," the Bench said. It clarified that the court has not asked for non-registration of an FIR for offences under the SC/ST Act, but sought verification before registration of FIR so that innocents do not get penalised. TURN TO PAGE 7 At least 109 killed in overnight storm LUCKNOW/JAIPUR, 3 MAY STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE PATNA, 3 MAY At least 27 passengers were killed after a Delhibound passenger bus overturned and caught fire in East Champaran district of Bihar on Thursday afternoon. Most of the bodies were charred beyond recognition. The state government has ordered a probe into the incident. As per reports, the bus carrying around 35 passengers had left for Delhi from Muzaffarpur bus stop. However, as it crossed into the boundary of east Champaran district, a biker came its way and in a bid to avoid him, the driver lost control and the vehicle fell into the roadside ditch. Within moments, it went up in flames. The fire spread so fast that most of the passengers did not get time to escape and were charred to death by the flames. Only a few passengers managed to escape. As per reports, the bus was fitted with an airconditioner, which is believed to have caught fire. “As per my information, 27 passengers have been killed in the incident,” Bihar Disaster Management Minister Dinesh Chandra Yadav told newsmen on Thursday, adding that a massive relief and rescue operation had been launched. According to the minister, the bus driver lost control over the vehicle in a bid to avoid a motorcyclist. He also announced a compensation of Rs 4 lakh to the family of each victim. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar expressed grief over the incident. The chief minister was addressing a function when the news of the deadly accident came in. He got up from the chair and asked the audience to stand from their seats too and maintain oneminute silence as a mark of respect for the dead souls. The rescue teams have rushed to the spot and trying hard to extricate the charred bodies. The challenge before the authorities now is to identify the charred bodies and hand them over to their families. State disaster management secretary Pratyay Amrit said the casualty figures might go up. A storm barrelled through a swathe of Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh overnight, killing at least 109 people in a trail of destruction that brought down mud houses, uprooted trees and flattened crops, officials said onThursday. Nearly 200 others were injured as a massive dust storm last night, followed by thunder showers, snapped power lines and sent tin roofs and street hoardings flying in parts of eastern Rajasthan and adjoining areas of Uttar Pradesh. Seventy-three people were killed in UP and 91 injured, officials said. In Rajasthan, 36 died and another 100 were injured as winds over 100 kmph hit the region around 7 pm. The worst period lasted about 45 minutes, according to reports from Dholpur in Rajasthan. But the extent of the damage was known only this morning. The Met department today predicted another dust storm in parts of Rajasthan and UP in the next 48 hours. A Met official told PTI in Jaipur that his department had been issuing dust storm warnings for the past couple of days. In UP Agra district , was the worst hit, accounting for at least 43 deaths and injuries to 51 others, officials said. Besides Agra, the other storm-hit UP districts were Bijnor, Bareli, Saharanpur, Pilibhit, Firozabad, Chitrakoot, Muzaffarnagar, Rae Bareli and PTI Unnao. PHOTO TWEETED BY ANI DETAILS ON PAGE 5
The Statesman is one of India's oldest English newspapers. It was founded in Kolkata in 1875 and is directly descended from The Friend of India (founded 1818). The Englishman (founded 1821) was merged with The Statesman in 1934. The Delhi edition of The Statesman began publication in 1931. The Statesman Weekly is a compendium of news and views from the Kolkata and Delhi editions. Printed on airmail paper, it is popular with readers outside India. The Statesman (average weekday circulation approximately 180,000) is a leading English newspaper in West Bengal. The Sunday Statesman has a circulation of 230,000.